Premed 101 Forums

Nepotism And Corruption: Img And Son Of Program Director And Cabinet Minister Gets A Cardiac Surgery Residency. Carms Irregularity

Ouch. Just because I disagreed with your stance on another thread, doesn't mean you need to be rude. We are colleagues.

Dr. Wong tried to handle the situation as well as he could, but as Laika points out the issue was Dr. Cook's actions, and possibly the actions of others involved in the process.

Oh its not about disagreance at all, just that this is very old news and calling/emailing the whos who of medicine isn't going to help now.

@evan

Did you even do any research or are you capable of doing it? The guy is a PGY-3. CaRMS and UBC PGE office handled the situation to the best of their abilities back when the process carried out. The guy still ended up being the one selected, as I can imagine he was highly qualified.

The whole point was that they didn't handle the situation to the best of their abilities three years ago - that's why this is still a concern. This was blatant favouritism in violation of CaRMS rules with nepotism being an obvious motivator given that resident's family connections. There appears to have been no official consequences, for those who violated the CaRMS rules or those that benefitted from that violation. The resident might be highly qualified, but there's no guarantee of that at this point - they skirted the main checks of a person's competency (med school and residency applications) and are now in a program where the head honcho is his dad. The program now has a history of playing favourites and getting away with it, there's reason to suspect that may have continued.

Maybe the resident is phenomenal and the optics of the situation are the problem, not him. The point is that we don't know - and that is very concerning.

This is an old story and I agree that doing a media blitz is unlikely to work. Even if it does, it would be nothing but a witch hunt. The whole thing still stinks though, and it hasn't stopped stinking three years later.

Medicine's crooked. the big boys club already has its members picked out. its just a matter of getting them to the country club with the rest of them.

moira stillwell is a radiologist turned politician btw. two very wealthy connected parents got their kiddy into the club.

most of us i would hope have had to do this the bureaucratically asinine way. i know that nobody pushed for me but me.

i have no trust in carms or the system after reading this.

The whole point was that they didn't handle the situation to the best of their abilities three years ago - that's why this is still a concern. This was blatant favouritism in violation of CaRMS rules with nepotism being an obvious motivator given that resident's family connections. There appears to have been no official consequences, for those who violated the CaRMS rules or those that benefitted from that violation. The resident might be highly qualified, but there's no guarantee of that at this point - they skirted the main checks of a person's competency (med school and residency applications) and are now in a program where the head honcho is his dad. The program now has a history of playing favourites and getting away with it, there's reason to suspect that may have continued.

Maybe the resident is phenomenal and the optics of the situation are the problem, not him. The point is that we don't know - and that is very concerning.

This is an old story and I agree that doing a media blitz is unlikely to work. Even if it does, it would be nothing but a witch hunt. The whole thing still stinks though, and it hasn't stopped stinking three years later.

I always find it's safer to assume the worst than the best, otherwise these damn politicians and bureaucrats can always find an excuse out for themselves.

Yeah I thought it was strange how grads from Oxford and Cambridge are not considered comparable to CMGs. But then again, how many Oxbridge grads actually want to apply to CaRMS?

There are more med schools in UK than Oxford and Cambridge, and all must meet the same standards of med education. When applying for F1 and F2 training in UK, your Alma Mater doesn't count at all.

Whilst the outrage against residency places for IMGs is justifiable, characterizing all IMGs in negatives terms is pointless. True, there are "doctors" coming from countries with substandard credentials, and their "experience"  will not make up for it. Some of them have language and communication problems. It si unlikely that they will secure any spot. But there are also immigrants with excellent credentials. Last but not the least, there are Canadians studying abroad, not necessary in MD mills, and and not necessarily because they couldn't get  to med school in Canada.  In that later categories, the issue is not whether they'll make good doctors, but that they potentially take spaces wanted by CMGs.

The problem is not with IMGs, but shrinking number of residency places.  

That said, the case described here is not a typical way the IMGs "make it" in Canada.

Archived