Premed 101 Forums

Reading Comp Resources

I need help preparing for the RC section. I currently have DATReady, IQ Publications and Kaplan books, but I'm looking for more resources to practice.

English is my second language. My reading ability is not weak but I do feel that I have a disadvantage. Does anyone have recommendations for RC practice?

I highly recommend Bootcamp RC. Although they only have it as American DAT style, you should just print it and go through the questions with 50 minutes time limit. if you can pull 20s on printed bootcamp you can def score well on cDAT. Personally I got similar topics on my real DAT from bootcamp so I scored pretty well. Best of luck.

I highly recommend Bootcamp RC. Although they only have it as American DAT style, you should just print it and go through the questions with 50 minutes time limit. if you can pull 20s on printed bootcamp you can def score well on cDAT. Personally I got similar topics on my real DAT from bootcamp so I scored pretty well. Best of luck.

It may be good practice but honestly it didn't help me out at all. It actually ended up being a waste of time and money for me since American DAT style questions didn't show up on my real DAT. But I guess it wouldn't hurt getting more.

I need help preparing for the RC section. I currently have DATReady, IQ Publications and Kaplan books, but I'm looking for more resources to practice.

English is my second language. My reading ability is not weak but I do feel that I have a disadvantage. Does anyone have recommendations for RC practice?

I honestly think you have enough materials to prepare for the RC section. You have at least 10 RC practice tests on you right now and that should be enough for you to work with!

Just make sure you practice with original timing conditions. Timing constraints the ability to read leisurely.

Just as someone else has mentioned here that you have enough resources for practice. I used the same materials and scored well on my DAT. 

Here's something else that might help. Read articles on websites like Scientific American. Read science article at least 3x/ week and you will quickly develop your reading comprehension skills.  

If you really want to prepare well you need tactics than just practice. There is a famous piano passage that comes with Crack the DAT (the material is an online test so you need to register and download it). If you dont have the book or dont want to go through the hassle just msg me. Ill send you all my practice tests.

P.s. this piano passage comes out in real dat time to time. So if you are not fancy wit piano I highly recommend you to read it. They are not word for word andtheir questions are different (obviously), but trust me, if you end up with a piano passage on real deal you will thank Crack the DAT.

Also, I recommend Bootcamp not because of their questions but because of their passages. Some of their tricky questions are not too representative of CDAT but their passages are right on the dot. They pick the topics that came up on the real deal in the past (I wrote DAT twice and they covered 3 passages on the real deal) This will increase your reading speed exponentially since you already read a similar topic before.

If you really, really feel anxious about RC dont use dat ready or Iq publication as your main recourse. Those are not so representarive of the real deal. I would rather seek for a friend who has access to Princeton in class practices. They have about 20 to 30 passages and that honstly will be enough practice for you to hit least get 20.

If you really want to prepare well you need tactics than just practice. There is a famous piano passage that comes with Crack the DAT (the material is an online test so you need to register and download it). If you dont have the book or dont want to go through the hassle just msg me. Ill send you all my practice tests.

P.s. this piano passage comes out in real dat time to time. So if you are not fancy wit piano I highly recommend you to read it. They are not word for word andtheir questions are different (obviously), but trust me, if you end up with a piano passage on real deal you will thank Crack the DAT.

Also, I recommend Bootcamp not because of their questions but because of their passages. Some of their tricky questions are not too representative of CDAT but their passages are right on the dot. They pick the topics that came up on the real deal in the past (I wrote DAT twice and they covered 3 passages on the real deal) This will increase your reading speed exponentially since you already read a similar topic before.

If you really, really feel anxious about RC dont use dat ready or Iq publication as your main recourse. Those are not so representarive of the real deal. I would rather seek for a friend who has access to Princeton in class practices. They have about 20 to 30 passages and that honstly will be enough practice for you to hit least get 20.

by princeton do you mean princeton dat or mcat? I have a friend with the princeton mcat CARS section.

Can confirm, I had the piano passage on my Nov 2014 DAT

I lol'd when reading this. LITERALLY the worst advice i've seen on this forum, are you trying to screw people over intentionally? The questions on Crack the DAT Reading section are misrepresentative of the cDAT and rarely ever show up on the real cDAT. Crack the DAT reading material are meant for the American DAT, not the cDAT! I ended up having to buy the IQ publication books during the Rock the DAT session (the UofA dental students there recommended IQ pub) after realizing CracktheDAT questions were different from the CDA manual. The IQ books ended up being a lot more representative of the real DAT I wrote (we also had that piano passage btw). So just because Crack the DAT had a piano passage it doesn't mean it's going to help you on the real DAT because on the real DAT you don't need to read or know any info in the passages to do well on the reading section.

OP my advice is look at the CDA manual and take a close look at the type of questions in there. Compare them to Crack the DAT, IQ pub, Bootcamp (never tried this one so I can't comment) and see for it yourself. My suggestion is to use resources that have the most similar type of questions as thats how you'll improve your score, not reading the same type of passages/topics since 1. chances are that you will not have the same topic on the real test 2. you don't even need to understand what you are reading to do well 3. Information on a topic comes in a million different forms (ex. Piano passage...you can make millions of questions or put out soo much info on the same topic). Note this is ONLY for the reading section of the DAT, Crack the DAT is WAY better than IQ Publication for the PAT section!

by princeton do you mean princeton dat or mcat? I have a friend with the princeton mcat CARS section.

I meant Crack the DAT, not MCAT. Im not sure whar cars is so I cant comment on that. Its not on their book but on their online url that they give on the book.

I lol'd when reading this. LITERALLY the worst advice i've seen on this forum, are you trying to screw people over intentionally? The questions on Crack the DAT Reading section are misrepresentative of the cDAT and rarely ever show up on the real cDAT. Crack the DAT reading material are meant for the American DAT, not the cDAT! I ended up having to buy the IQ publication books during the Rock the DAT session (the UofA dental students there recommended IQ pub) after realizing CracktheDAT questions were different from the CDA manual. The IQ books ended up being a lot more representative of the real DAT I wrote (we also had that piano passage btw). So just because Crack the DAT had a piano passage it doesn't mean it's going to help you on the real DAT because on the real DAT you don't need to read or know any info in the passages to do well on the reading section.

OP my advice is look at the CDA manual and take a close look at the type of questions in there. Compare them to Crack the DAT, IQ pub, Bootcamp (never tried this one so I can't comment) and see for it yourself. My suggestion is to use resources that have the most similar type of questions as thats how you'll improve your score, not reading the same type of passages/topics since 1. chances are that you will not have the same topic on the real test 2. you don't even need to understand what you are reading to do well 3. Information on a topic comes in a million different forms (ex. Piano passage...you can make millions of questions or put out soo much info on the same topic). Note this is ONLY for the reading section of the DAT, Crack the DAT is WAY better than IQ Publication for the PAT section!

Thank you for your comment. I understand where you are coming from but mind you all advices are subjective. I dont get why anyone would givd advice to screw someone over. I only wrote what I did and what I found helpful. If you dont agree, thats fine by me. All advices are meant to be taken with a grain of salt after all.

If you read my post carefully I only recommended the piano passage on Crack the DAT because it was similar to a passage thst came out on my real DAT. Personally it helped me with not panicking on Nov DAT 2014. I clearly said the passage and questions were different. Its just that ppl dont expect to see a passage like that on a scientific exam so it can catch them off guard. If that didnt happen to you, good for you.

In terms of IQ publication, their passages were not representative of DAT that I wrote so I didnt recommend it. It has too many social science passages that wasnt so representative of the real deal for me. Their questions were pretty different from sear and destroy questions too.

I only had access to a fraction of Princeton in class material because my friend gave it to me. And their questions helped tons to improve my scores by about 3. So I wrote that from my personal experiences. Their in class passage questions are way simpler than their Crack the DAT book - more like search and destroy style.

I agree that a lot of questions on CDAT manual is similar to the real deal, but their passages were longer than what I had. Thats all.

Thank you for your comment. I understand where you are coming from but mind you all advices are subjective. I dont get why anyone would givd advice to screw someone over. I only wrote what I did and what I found helpful. If you dont agree, thats fine by me. All advices are meant to be taken with a grain of salt after all.

If you read my post carefully I only recommended the piano passage on Crack the DAT because it was similar to a passage thst came out on my real DAT. Personally it helped me with not panicking on Nov DAT 2014. I clearly said the passage and questions were different. Its just that ppl dont expect to see a passage like that on a scientific exam so it can catch them off guard. If that didnt happen to you, good for you.

In terms of IQ publication, their passages were not representative of DAT that I wrote so I didnt recommend it. It has too many social science passages that wasnt so representative of the real deal for me. Their questions were pretty different from sear and destroy questions too.

I only had access to a fraction of Princeton in class material because my friend gave it to me. And their questions helped tons to improve my scores by about 3. So I wrote that from my personal experiences. Their in class passage questions are way simpler than their Crack the DAT book - more like search and destroy style.

I agree that a lot of questions on CDAT manual is similar to the real deal, but their passages were longer than what I had. Thats all.

Are you sure you wrote the cDAT and not the American DAT? Because the types of passage don't matter for the reasons I mentioned above. And I did the piano passage from Crack the DAT and had the piano passage when I wrote last Nov and it didn't help out at all (forgot to mention this in the last post). I guess its subjective but the Crack the DAT reading is by far the last thing I would recommend in terms of similarity to the types of questions you'll get on test date imo.

Are you sure you wrote the cDAT and not the American DAT? Because the types of passage don't matter for the reasons I mentioned above. And I did the piano passage from Crack the DAT and had the piano passage when I wrote last Nov and it didn't help out at all (forgot to mention this in the last post). I guess its subjective but the Crack the DAT reading is by far the last thing I would recommend in terms of similarity to the types of questions you'll get on test date imo.

lol yes I am sure I wrote cdat. If you thought it didnt matter than that's that. I guess it helps some while it doesn't help others. I personally tend to remember the passages I read and the Crack the DAT piano passage helped me to panic less since I already knew some about piano and some qs. Yeah if you think the passages dont matter w.e. it is subjective after all.

Archived