Premed 101 Forums

I'm still in the process of doing my research about it but I was wondering if any UofA med students/residents can provide insight into how many total weeks or rotations we have for electives throughout medical school? I'm having a hard time seeing how much optional time we get as well (e.g. summer, during the year since they say 'min.' X weeks). If someone could chime in, that would be wonderful :) 

So the elective time given in M1 and M2 don't mean much, do they?

It says for M1, we have to do a min. 12 hours + optional 1-12 weeks of summer electives. For M2, we have to do another min. 12 hours + optional 1-9 weeks of summer electives (with 4 weeks that can be used for credit in M3; max. 2 weeks of clinical electives). M3 is 4 weeks (optional 1-9 weeks in summer) and M4 is 10 weeks. 

I know it's a more complicated version of your response but am I getting all the optional and credit weeks in check too? Too early to worry now but I'm curious 

4 weeks in 3rd year and 10 weeks in fourth year. You also have optional elective time during summer of 2/3 year

Definitely TOOOOOO early to worry about since you will be explained everything in your first week. But in general

M1 = mandatory 12 hours during the school year. If you want to do summer electives (optional) you actually have to pay ~$500 and can do as much or as little as you want. Summer electives here do NOT count for M3/M4 electives

M2 = same deal as M1. Any summer electives you do may be counted towards M3 or M4 (if you want to take a break during your clerkship).

M3 = 4 weeks during school year (you do not get summer break between M3/M4)

M4 = 10 weeks during school year

Definitely TOOOOOO early to worry about since you will be explained everything in your first week. But in general

M1 = mandatory 12 hours during the school year. If you want to do summer electives (optional) you actually have to pay ~$500 and can do as much or as little as you want. Summer electives here do NOT count for M3/M4 electives

M2 = same deal as M1. Any summer electives you do may be counted towards M3 or M4 (if you want to take a break during your clerkship).

M3 = 4 weeks during school year (you do not get summer break between M3/M4)

M4 = 10 weeks during school year

SORRY! And thank you :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived