Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Applicants

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting this thread for those of us applying to Calgary for the upcoming cycle. We have a similar thread in the U of A forum, so let's use this thread to ask questions and offer support.  :)

This is my first time applying to Calgary, so am going through the application manual and am getting started with UCAN. How's it going for everyone else?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm applying this year as well.  Wrote the new MCAT on June 20th.  It's not too bad, and I think a 127 on CARS is definitely achievable, especially with the extra time you get per passage relative to the old exam :) If you guys have any questions about the exam (not that I'm an expert - but at least I've taken it :P ) let me know!

Anyone going to the info session at the University on July 22nd?

Hey everyone, finally decided to join the forums.  :)

I'll be applying this cycle as well (writing the MCAT Aug. 22). I will be applying as a 3rd year, so my chances are probably pretty slim... Regardless, the experience with the application process is worth it. 

Good luck to us all!

I'm applying this year as well.  Wrote the new MCAT on June 20th.  It's not too bad, and I think a 127 on CARS is definitely achievable, especially with the extra time you get per passage relative to the old exam :) If you guys have any questions about the exam (not that I'm an expert - but at least I've taken it :P ) let me know!

I'm glad that the MCAT went well for you. I'm sure you're glad to have it out of the way.  :)

I'm in Edmonton, so won't be able to attend the info session. Is that the one that is being podcast or are people talking about two different things (there is another thread on it)?

Hey everyone, finally decided to join the forums.  :)

I'll be applying this cycle as well (writing the MCAT Aug. 22). I will be applying as a 3rd year, so my chances are probably pretty slim... Regardless, the experience with the application process is worth it. 

Good luck to us all!

Welcome to the forum  :D

I was a long time lurker and now I don't shut up (as you may have noticed  ;)).

Good luck with your MCAT and with your application!

I'm glad that the MCAT went well for you. I'm sure you're glad to have it out of the way.  :)

I'm in Edmonton, so won't be able to attend the info session. Is that the one that is being podcast or are people talking about two different things (there is another thread on it)?

Thanks! Ya, I'm really glad to be done.  Ya, like snowflakesinwinter said, its for non trads.  I'm a PhD student, so I figured I'd go to that one instead of the one that was on July 6th.  I may listen to the podcast for that one as well though, just to see if there's any relevant information.

Thanks! Ya, I'm really glad to be done.  Ya, like snowflakesinwinter said, its for non trads.  I'm a PhD student, so I figured I'd go to that one instead of the one that was on July 6th.  I may listen to the podcast for that one as well though, just to see if there's any relevant information.

Thanks. I'm VERY non-traditional, so will have to check out the podcast when it's up.  :)

i am sure it will be great :) glad you are done the mcat! if you have specific questions i can always drop by on the 22nd and ask ? let me know

I'm applying this year as well. Wrote the new MCAT on June 20th. It's not too bad, and I think a 127 on CARS is definitely achievable, especially with the extra time you get per passage relative to the old exam :) If you guys have any questions about the exam (not that I'm an expert - but at least I've taken it :P ) let me know!

Hey! I had a quick question about the new mcat. I was just wondering what practice materials you used? I've heard mixed things about using older material, such as older aamc practice tests because they don't accurately represent the new mcat.

Hey! I had a quick question about the new mcat. I was just wondering what practice materials you used? I've heard mixed things about using older material, such as older aamc practice tests because they don't accurately represent the new mcat.

Hey, I mostly used new material.  I used the new EK books and Khan academy for content review.  I had to supplement the EK books because they are missing a bunch of psychology/sociology content, and their coverage of biochem is really brief.  I also used the 3 FL exams they had published before my exam (altough I hear there is a 4th now).  I found those to be as close to the AAMC practice test out of all the prep companies (although the tests themselves are quite a bit harder).

I also used the AAMC question packs, their official guide questions, and their full length.  The AAMC question packs have a bunch of questions from old exams, but that are relevant for the new exam.  Although the question style might differ a bit from what you see on your exam, I found it to be a really good guide for what topics I was still weak on.  Obviously the AAMC full length and official guide are the best investment you can make. 

In terms of old material, I did a bit of extra verbal practice with EK101, but didn't use any aside from that.  I think you could probably use old material for content review but there have been a bunch of changes, so you would have to refer to the AAMC topic list to make sure you weren't wasting time on topics no longer covered, and to make sure you don't miss topics that have been added.  I personally wouldn't do it, since I feel the added time trying to sort through it all wouldn't be worth it.

Hey, I mostly used new material.  I used the new EK books and Khan academy for content review.  I had to supplement the EK books because they are missing a bunch of psychology/sociology content, and their coverage of biochem is really brief.  I also used the 3 FL exams they had published before my exam (altough I hear there is a 4th now).  I found those to be as close to the AAMC practice test out of all the prep companies (although the tests themselves are quite a bit harder).

I also used the AAMC question packs, their official guide questions, and their full length.  The AAMC question packs have a bunch of questions from old exams, but that are relevant for the new exam.  Although the question style might differ a bit from what you see on your exam, I found it to be a really good guide for what topics I was still weak on.  Obviously the AAMC full length and official guide are the best investment you can make. 

In terms of old material, I did a bit of extra verbal practice with EK101, but didn't use any aside from that.  I think you could probably use old material for content review but there have been a bunch of changes, so you would have to refer to the AAMC topic list to make sure you weren't wasting time on topics no longer covered, and to make sure you don't miss topics that have been added.  I personally wouldn't do it, since I feel the added time trying to sort through it all wouldn't be worth it.

Hi soccergurl,

Would you say that the money you spent on the EK practice exams was worth it then? $50/exam seems a bit expensive. I bought all of the AAMC stuff and have been doing the questions on the Khan Academy site.

Hi soccergurl,

Would you say that the money you spent on the EK practice exams was worth it then? $50/exam seems a bit expensive. I bought all of the AAMC stuff and have been doing the questions on the Khan Academy site.

I honestly think so, at least for me.  I know it's a little steep, but I'm glad to have purchased them.

I didn't purchase a course or anything, so I still spent less than 500$ total on prep material, but I felt like having practice exams that were more similar to the test (but harder) really prepared me well for test day.  When I went into the actual test, it felt easy in comparison.

Khan academy is great, but I really do think it's important to make sure to sit down and do at least a couple practice tests to get accustomed to the length, and build up your endurance.

I honestly think so, at least for me.  I know it's a little steep, but I'm glad to have purchased them.

I didn't purchase a course or anything, so I still spent less than 500$ total on prep material, but I felt like having practice exams that were more similar to the test (but harder) really prepared me well for test day.  When I went into the actual test, it felt easy in comparison.

Khan academy is great, but I really do think it's important to make sure to sit down and do at least a couple practice tests to get accustomed to the length, and build up your endurance.

Thank you! I'll give it a shot. I'm working full time while studying for this, so now I know what I'll be doing on my weekends.  :D

Archived