Premed 101 Forums

Calgary Applicants

Do you guys know if there are any statistics available about 3rd year applicants (people without an undergrad degree)? I see that at the end of the applicant manual it gives some numbers for how many people were accepted without a degree, but i didn't see anything about how many people with no degree applied or anything regarding the average GPAs and MCATs for this group.

I'm just trying to gauge my chances of an interview, I'm assuming that they are probably pretty low...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! I'll give it a shot. I'm working full time while studying for this, so now I know what I'll be doing on my weekends.  :D

Haha, ya I didn't have much of a life the last couple weeks.  I was also working full-time and had all my normal extracurricular commitments, so it was Saturday morning full lengths for me :P I'm sure you'll rock it though. Good luck!

Hey, I mostly used new material. I used the new EK books and Khan academy for content review. I had to supplement the EK books because they are missing a bunch of psychology/sociology content, and their coverage of biochem is really brief. I also used the 3 FL exams they had published before my exam (altough I hear there is a 4th now). I found those to be as close to the AAMC practice test out of all the prep companies (although the tests themselves are quite a bit harder).

I also used the AAMC question packs, their official guide questions, and their full length. The AAMC question packs have a bunch of questions from old exams, but that are relevant for the new exam. Although the question style might differ a bit from what you see on your exam, I found it to be a really good guide for what topics I was still weak on. Obviously the AAMC full length and official guide are the best investment you can make.

In terms of old material, I did a bit of extra verbal practice with EK101, but didn't use any aside from that. I think you could probably use old material for content review but there have been a bunch of changes, so you would have to refer to the AAMC topic list to make sure you weren't wasting time on topics no longer covered, and to make sure you don't miss topics that have been added. I personally wouldn't do it, since I feel the added time trying to sort through it all wouldn't be worth it.

Thank you!!

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering about the verifiers for scholarships! A few of mine are from first year or end of high school and the person who could verify no longer works there (the person who sent me the e-mail). What do you do in that situation? It asks for a specific name, so can it be a teacher who nominated me for it?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering about the verifiers for scholarships! A few of mine are from first year or end of high school and the person who could verify no longer works there (the person who sent me the e-mail). What do you do in that situation? It asks for a specific name, so can it be a teacher who nominated me for it?

Thanks!

I sent an email asking for a person who would verify for me to the organization that gave me the scholarships as both were from community organizations that have transient people (people serving terms on a board of directs for instance). Both organizations had people that were more than happy to verify for me despite not being around during the time of my award. They have record of it, and in one case, my name is on a plaque. 

Hi everyone, 

Thanks!

I hear you. I'm old enough to have finished high school when the year started with a 19. I haven't entered awards yet and don't even know if I'll be able to find proof that I received some of them (I'm guessing that I'll just leave those out?). 

I also have the same problem with employment... one of the places that I worked at for the summer no longer exists and two of them might not have any record of me working there since they were just summer jobs. 

Any tips?  :)

Getting back to studying MCAT now...   :huh:

I hear you. I'm old enough to have finished high school when the year started with a 19. I haven't entered awards yet and don't even know if I'll be able to find proof that I received some of them (I'm guessing that I'll just leave those out?). 

I also have the same problem with employment... one of the places that I worked at for the summer no longer exists and two of them might not have any record of me working there since they were just summer jobs. 

Any tips?  :)

Getting back to studying MCAT now...   :huh:

Fortunately, most of my work experiences are recent.... I think you can write your own name down as long as you have some way of proving you worked there (eg. old pay-stubs, tax forms etc...)

Back to MCAT studying for me too! :rolleyes:

,Hi soccergurl1987 .. what additional content did you take for psych/sociology? I have the new EK books + Khan .. what else?

Thanks!

Hey, I mostly used new material.  I used the new EK books and Khan academy for content review.  I had to supplement the EK books because they are missing a bunch of psychology/sociology content, and their coverage of biochem is really brief.  I also used the 3 FL exams they had published before my exam (altough I hear there is a 4th now).  I found those to be as close to the AAMC practice test out of all the prep companies (although the tests themselves are quite a bit harder).

I also used the AAMC question packs, their official guide questions, and their full length.  The AAMC question packs have a bunch of questions from old exams, but that are relevant for the new exam.  Although the question style might differ a bit from what you see on your exam, I found it to be a really good guide for what topics I was still weak on.  Obviously the AAMC full length and official guide are the best investment you can make. 

In terms of old material, I did a bit of extra verbal practice with EK101, but didn't use any aside from that.  I think you could probably use old material for content review but there have been a bunch of changes, so you would have to refer to the AAMC topic list to make sure you weren't wasting time on topics no longer covered, and to make sure you don't miss topics that have been added.  I personally wouldn't do it, since I feel the added time trying to sort through it all wouldn't be worth it.

I don't have any pay-stubs or tax forms from that long ago, but I can probably track down some of the people that used to supervise me.  :)

I had this issue last application cycle and there were organizations that I worked for with complete employee turnover that had lost my record of employment. I found out you can request your record of employment from within the last seven years I think.  I ended up having to list myself as a verifier for quite a few jobs where there was no one working there from only a few years ago and I couldn't track down my supervisors.

I had this issue last application cycle and there were organizations that I worked for with complete employee turnover that had lost my record of employment. I found out you can request your record of employment from within the last seven years I think.  I ended up having to list myself as a verifier for quite a few jobs where there was no one working there from only a few years ago and I couldn't track down my supervisors.

Thanks mermermer! I have verifiers for the last 15 years of work, but verifiers for jobs that I had in the late 1990s will be hard to come by (I'm old  :P ). 

,Hi soccergurl1987 .. what additional content did you take for psych/sociology? I have the new EK books + Khan .. what else?

Thanks!

I didn't use any other official prep material.  Between those two, most of the stuff was covered, so I used the AAMC topic list to figure out what I was missing, and then just googled it.  I realize that's not super helpful :P

Me too SoccerDoz! I have been hoping and wishing that will be the case this year. New MCAT and new residency requirements could make for better conditions for IP's. I've been rejected pre-interview for the last two years, and it would be realllllly nice to get a shot at an interview this year.

Me too SoccerDoz! I have been hoping and wishing that will be the case this year. New MCAT and new residency requirements could make for better conditions for IP's. I've been rejected pre-interview for the last two years, and it would be realllllly nice to get a shot at an interview this year.

I'm rooting for you! ????

it takes forever. everyone will tell you to start now but most of us will likely procrastinate until september. Remember that UofC is kind of an outlier when it comes to applications. most schools ask for 150-350 characters per entry, so you can kind of copy/paste things around between applications. Calgary don't play that game. You'll spend hours trying to tweak 1000 characters to say exactly what you want, get frustrated that you're 2 characters over the limit, then rage quit for a week.

1000 characters

OMG! I have been dreading starting my Top 10 because when I saw the application I noticed the "1000" and a big text box, my brain immediately assumed it said 1000 words. 

Just went and checked, its definitely 1000 characters. You have no idea how happy that makes me.

...and yes, i realize I'm not very smart.

Archived