Premed 101 Forums

Prep Course

spa

Hello,

This has probably been asked millions of times. I approached a few 2nd year med students in a program I volunteer at, and asked them. Unanimously said MCAT prep courses are enough.

Which course would be the best ?

I think it all comes down to your budget, convenience of reaching the course (if it's in-class), and your learning style (in-class VS online teaching). I think since most people have only had the experience of one course, it's hard to compare between the different prep companies and say which one is "the best." 

However, I would share that I personally have taken Princeton Review's online teaching course, and I found that was good in that I could avoid commuting to class. Their online teaching component is nicely integrated and it does make you feel that you're in a classroom setting. You also get access to recorded lectures and all the online test modules that Princeton offers. I guess the downside is that you may get too comfortable/slack on homework and that may derail your progress. I took my 1st MCAT after the course and scored a mediocre 31 (10/11/10). After getting rejected all-around with that score, I wrote it a second time last year while taking advantage of Princeton's guarantee. Basically if you perform below your expectations and you have done a reasonable amount of work, you can re-take their online course all over again, free-of-charge. I slacked too much on homework so they only offered me extended access to their online testing modules instead of a free class (but there were recorded lectures online). So on my 2nd attempt I just used that and self-studied and came out with a 37 (12/11/14).

TL;DR: Choose a course that fits budget & convenience. Princeton not bad.

Archived