Premed 101 Forums

Required Pass/fail/honour Grades For Clinical Rotation Credits

Hi, I've been unable to find an answer on UofT's website for the following situation:

I have done 6 years of undergrad totaling 36 FCE's; 4.25 of these were pass/fail/honour courses which are clinical rotations required by my program. I am wondering since I have enough graded courses (31.25 FCEs) would the weighting formula still only drop the pass/fail courses or will I be able to drop the lowest GRADED FCE's?

And just to confirm it would be 6 lowest FCE's that can be dropped since I've done 6 years of undergrad?

Thank you very much for your time! Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated! =)

No upper limit would be unrealistic but you can always send an email to adcoms.

From http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Academic/Calculation_of_GPA_Weighting_Formula.htm

Calculation of GPA and GPA Weighting Formula

GPA is calculated using grades from all courses taken at an undergraduate level on a full-time basis. All course grades are included in a single GPA, including grades from multiple degree programs, multiple universities, and/or from full-time non-degree study (e.g. a fifth year of courses taken following a four-year degree). We do not weight grades differently based on year of study.

Application after completing two years of university:

GPA will be calculated using grades from all courses completed on a full-time basis during the two completed years of university

If you are applying after completing three years of university and have taken a full course load in all academic years:

A GPA weighting formula may be used for students who have taken a full course load (i.e. five full credits) during the regular academic session, in each year of study. This weighting is designed to encourage students to take demanding courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years. A weighted GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course equivalent grade per full year of study.

Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation; and

Students applying after completion of four years of study will have their lowest 4 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation

Note: We remove lowest overall grades, not lowest grades in each year of study

NOTE: They do not discuss after completion of more than 4 years - and one must assume this is for a reason.

Archived