Premed 101 Forums

Hi all,

I recently finished second year at UBC and I plan to take the new MCAT next summer to hopefully, apply for the 2016-2017 application cycle.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I study on my own or take one of those MCAT prep courses?

2. Since final exams are done around the end of April, I plan to start studying in May all the way to June (2 months) and take the exam in July. Does this seem like a good idea?

3. Did you guys contact all your verifiers and references before you took the MCAT or contact them after? In other words, did you start your application before you took the MCAT?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken the MCAT already (old or new). I can't really grasp whether I'm rushing the application process.

Thanks in advance!

I dont think it matters if you complete the application before or after writing the MCAT. I gave myself a month to complete the application, but I also work full-time. 

In my opinion how much time you need to study depends on your background. Have you taken intro bio, physics, biochem etc.? If not, you may need more time to study. If it's fresh in your mind, that will of course reduce the time you need. I took a prep course and, personally, I think its a waste of a couple grand... especially if your financially strapped like I was. As long as you can motivate yourself to study, create a schedule and stick to it, you should be fine without a prep course. The prep course just taught me what to expect on the test, but you can find that in the books. Writing in July is a good idea - if you feel like you really blew the test, you can reschedule for August. 

Archived