Premed 101 Forums

Uofa Reference Letter From Professor

Hey everyone,

I'm applying for OT in 2016 and I'm curious about the LOR requirement for UofA which states that one of the referee must be a "tenure-track academic (university/college professor)".

In my case, I never got personally close with a professor that taught me a course but I do have one that I volunteered for that I'm sure can write a strong one.

Does anyone know if this will really hurt my application since this professor cannot vouch for my academic competence at all?

For additional context, I'm an OOP applicant, my sGPA will be slightly higher than 3.85 and I have decent extracurriculars and writing skills.

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any help!

Hi, I emailed U of A regarding this matter. I was told that the content of the reference letter matters more than whether or not it's from a tenure track. U of A wants to know about your background that would help you become successful in the OT program.

Thanks for your help!!

Hi, I emailed U of A regarding this matter. I was told that the content of the reference letter matters more than whether or not it's from a tenure track. U of A wants to know about your background that would help you become successful in the OT program.

So it's not specifically required? I wish they had been clearer on this requirement, as I had to ask the only tenure-track prof that I knew, whose course I only got a B+ in. :(

Do you think the amount of time that they knew you would make a difference? i.e. summer course vs. fall/winter course...

The is the email I sent to the OT admission few months ago.

"Dear OT admissions,I am hoping to apply for the 2016 intake. I have question about academic reference. Does one of the referee must be a tenure-track academic or can a regular lecturer who is able to comment on my academic abilities will also be accepted as an academic referee? Is the focus on the quality of the recommendation or the qualification of the referee?"

So it's not specifically required? I wish they had been clearer on this requirement, as I had to ask the only tenure-track prof that I knew, whose course I only got a B+ in. :(

Do you think the amount of time that they knew you would make a difference? i.e. summer course vs. fall/winter course...

I'm assuming you have applied for the 2015 intake?

Archived