Premed 101 Forums

Cegep And Prerequisites

bro360

Hi,

Since starting Cegep (in health science), I wanted to join the Med-P at Mcgill. Although I did well in my first semester, my 2nd semester r-scores were not that high. 

My plan B is to get an undergrad degree and then apply to a lot of med schools as to increase my chances of getting in. 

I just wanted to know if by completing 2 years of of cegep in health I have completed my prerequisites for admission (to any university in Canada)?

I am asking this question  in case I choose to pursue a non-science undergrad degree; will I have to complete prerequisite courses or is my 2 years of health science in Cegep enough?

I know that Mcgill doesn't look at your prerequisites (cegep) marks. But what about other universities such as u of t?

If you get a DEC you can apply to UOttawa med after a year of undergrad and they'll only use that one year in their GPA calculation.

"Your Cegep studies will be recognized as being equivalent to one year of post-secondary university studies provided that you have obtained your Diplôme d’Études Collégiales (DEC).  You will need to complete two years of a bachelor’s program of studies (including prerequisite courses) in a recognized university to meet our application eligibility.  You would normally apply after your 1st year of university studies.  Only the grades obtained during this year of studies will be assessed."

...they also require a high GPA (~3.92) on the OMSAS scale.

You can stack up on bird courses first year, then complete an additional chem credit during the application year to satisfy the prereq.  

Archived