Premed 101 Forums

haah

Guest mitchie41

Guest strider2004

It's all PR. UWO was 9th once(in 1996) and they hired a PR team to spiff up their reputation. The next year they jumped to 5th and now they're 3rd. It is a good school, however. Definitely a good atmosphere.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, despite the fact my school appears to be on the rise, I still think the rankings are BS. Especially being entitled "Medical/Doctoral". . . misleads some people to think that it's the medical schools that are being rated (false), rather than the school as a whole based on some arbitrarily chosen topics such as average entering GPA, what guidance counsellors think of the schools, research $$ (not opportunities!), total book holdings, book holdings/student, etc (true). And the most important things, whether the program you're interested in is good at that school and which school YOU would fit in at, aren't rated. . . nor could they be.

Don't put any stock into the rankings. This isn't the US where you have Harvard University competing with Joe's Basketweaving university of the Ozarks for students. Be happy that most schools in Canada are pretty solid.

Besides, what good are rankings that don't have UWO as #1? Just kidding of course. :)

"Joe's basketweaving university of the ozarks???" Somebody has been studying for too long.....It would be more like 'billie-jean-sue's basketweaving university of the ozarks'..... :lol

I agree with UWOMED2005, though the Maclean's ranking is interesting to read just to find out GENERAL info on the universities in Canada, to arbitrarily rate post-secondary institutions as a whole is not realistic and irresponsible. In fact, a ranking system doesn't even seem appropriate seeing that some programs at some universities would be great for some and not so great for others.

Perhaps a better way to do things would be to look at specific programs and compare the various features of the curricula between schools. So who wants to write to Macleans? :)

Guest Chieka101

I think the Globe and Mail student rankings are better. UWO got 2nd place and U of Windsor got second last. I was at the former last year; I'm at the latter now, and I think those ratings are very accurate.

YAY UWO! :b

Guest mitchie41

Hey MDCY, I bet you're right about how Maclean's is biased to the east coast!

look at all the sharp drops in the Alberta and BC Schools.

And considierng that the publication is made edited and printed in Ontario leaves room for speculation.

Oh.....and does anybody else think it's strange that Queen's is 2nd? Compared to the other school up there(ie. UWO, McGill, UBC).

Guest strider2004

Queens has always been up there, even on the Globe & Mail list. Remember it has nothing to do with size of the school or even popularity. A lot of it is just speculation and the public opinion. Every top notch school has a PR team (when i was at UWO, they had a Maclean's team dedicated to raising their ranking) to deal with all these surveys and rankings.

I remember doing med school interviews (as the interviewer) and when we asked why choose Queens, some people were like "well Queens in one of the top medical schools in Canada". That's just because of Maclean's magazine. What do they know about the medical program? Noone's ever evaluated the med schools in Canada and no school convincingly produces better doctors than any other school.

Archived