Premed 101 Forums

Casper - General Advice

Just wondering if you might have some general thoughts on casper if you've never, ever, ever before heard of it or mentally prepared to take it. 

I knew McMaster did the casper thing, but was never going to apply there. I'm applying to UOttawa and am a newbie at this premed thing - anyone have any advice on what I should expect, come casper-taking time? Thank you for your thoughtful heads up! :)

Just wondering if you might have some general thoughts on casper if you've never, ever, ever before heard of it or mentally prepared to take it. 

I knew McMaster did the casper thing, but was never going to apply there. I'm applying to UOttawa and am a newbie at this premed thing - anyone have any advice on what I should expect, come casper-taking time? Thank you for your thoughtful heads up! :)

Personally, I love Casper and I wish more medical schools implemented it. Why? It tests critical thinking, logic, emotional intelligence, ethics, and many other things. It's a great test to ensure that the RIGHT people get into medical school. The people with qualities that are paramount for a physician to possess. It's far more effective than the MCAT at that.  As for preparing for it. My advice is this.

Read medical ethics books, practice formulating well constructed thoughts under 5 minutes. Practice typing fast. You might be surprised how some questions implement knowledge of philosophy, or even politics (i.e is capitalism good or bad? Explain Why). Just read a lot in general. 

Mockcasper has practice tests you can buy and they are marked by real physicians I believe. I never bought any but they do have free practice ones you can try. Plenty of other sites to try free practice questions and I am not totally sure but if my memory serves me right McMaster may have some practice questions/example questions on their website. 

Best of luck to you!

Thanks to the previous poster but isn't Casper due like right away? What if the applicant doesn't have time to read medical ethics books between now and when Casper is due (he is in full time school and working etc.). Sorry to want shortcuts but seriously Casper wasn't a requirement for Ottawa before :)

Thanks to the previous poster but isn't Casper due like right away? What if the applicant doesn't have time to read medical ethics books between now and when Casper is due (he is in full time school and working etc.). Sorry to want shortcuts but seriously Casper wasn't a requirement for Ottawa before :)

What do you mean 'due'? I'm pretty sure you don't do it at your own time and 'submit' it, there's specific dates in the fall it has to be on. 

Archived