Premed 101 Forums

No Reference From A Professor

hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience of applying/getting accepted without a reference from a professor, i know the content matters more and i have a phd student who can speak about my academics but kind of worried right now that i should have asked a prof instead, what are your thoughts?

I don't have experience doing applying without an academic LOR from a prof, but I would definitely reconsider getting a PhD student to write you one. I think as a student they are a little to close to you and might not be considered impartial. Someone in a position of higher authority might be a better choice.

I don't have experience doing applying without an academic LOR from a prof, but I would definitely reconsider getting a PhD student to write you one. I think as a student they are a little to close to you and might not be considered impartial. Someone in a position of higher authority might be a better choice.

Hmm okay thanks, even if they've acted as a supervisor for the lab I was an RA in?

I would disagree with this advice. If they know you well and are impartial they can act as a reference. A less personl letter from a prof is not preferable in my opinion. 

Doctors know that people don't always get a lot of face time with the big boss. In medicine, medical students are vastly supervised by residents and the staff heavily rely on their opinions when it comes to references. 

Archived