Premed 101 Forums

Visiting Electives At Mcgill

Hey you are not obliged to know French in order to rotate there!

I know a few people who are anglophones with some basic knowledge in French who completed psychiatry electives at McGill. Quite frankly, some psy at McGill are unilingual anglophones. You will be fine :)

I am really interested in doing psychiatry electives at McGill as a visiting student. Is it a requirement to know French in order to rotate there. If anyone who has completed rotations could please share their experience. Thank you!

Hey I don't  :mellow:  but I recommend you to pick a field of interest in psychiatry that you are going to enjoy (legal psychiatry, medical psy, etc).

If anyone else could provide some input to OP, please feel free :)

Hello LittleDaisy...thank you for your response! I was wondering if you had any feedback on any of their psych electives. They have so many so I am not sure which one I should choose. 

do they have any electives that have you working in some of the outpatient clinics - maybe with some psych emerg for on-call? that would be idea. the montreal general also has a consult liasion service that you may enjoy for more acute things in hospitalized patients. i don't know if they take elective students. stay as far away from the inpatient psych unit as possible. learning opportunities are at a minimum and every day feels like groundhog day (if you've seen/heard of the film).

many patients speak french in montreal. you don't need french to complete an elective at mcgill but you'd be limiting yourself in terms of patients that you'd be available to see if you don't speak french. 

Archived