Premed 101 Forums

Looking for an apartment

Guest young philosopher

Guest young philosopher

Hi there, :)

My name is Hala Khalifa AL-kitbi. A 5th year junior medical Student in United Arab Emirates in AlAin. I have chosen Dalhousie University to do my Elective. I have been accepted:D and received the conformation letter for that:D . I have finished almost every thing for the elective except for the housing:\ . I am going with my parents and my little sister. We are looking for an apartment of two rooms and with a kitchen and toilet putting in consideration privacy. That is because my father can't share the facilities with females and for us to we can't share facilities for males.

Looking forward to here from you and your questions are welcomed.

www.uae.org.ae/ ABOUT UAE

www.uaeu.ac.ae/ UAE UNIVERSITY

www.fmhs.uaeu.ac.ae/ OUR MEDICAL COLLAGE SITE

Kind regards,

Hala or --^(Young philosopher)^-- ;)

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Hala,

Great to hear that you're comming to DAL!

How long and when are you going to be here? I can forward your information to all of the medical students at DAL, if you provide me a bit more info (when, how long, price range).

you might also consider checking out

www.housing.dal.ca

Check the "off campus housing" link on that website. Most of the places available within walking distance to the hospitals are on this site. If you have questions about specific places (ie: are they too far from the hospital?) I can answer them for you. Halifax is a small-medium size city, so most places are close enough to walk..:)

Are you looking for a place that is furnished?

Well, lots of questions to answer. Leave me your email address in a personal message if you want faster correspondence.

CC

Guest mosquitoba

hey hala - i am not from halifax but i lived there for 4 months last summer in an apartment block called the "park victoria" - it is only a 10 minute walk from the medical school and in a good area of town with lots to do, near grocery stores and drug stores etc. i would recommend it highly. you can get a two bedroom apartment there for about $1100 a month. best of luck! i hope you enjoy your time in halifax, it is one of my favourite cities in canada!!!! :)

mosquitoba

Guest young philosopher

Dear Caesar Cornelius,

Thank you so much for your reply:)

My elective program is from 13/06/2005 - 08/07/2005.

I have to be there before that time and we are going to leave our country by 09/06/2005 to Germany then to Canada.

For the price range I prefer it to be less than $800 per month.

hmmmmmmm,

Before I post my request here in this nice forum, I looked in the website that is in your reply... I get emails from number of students, but the problem was with Privacy issue and the duration of my elective program being short for them to provide me with an apartment!

For the last question, Yes we are looking for a furnished place.

This my email: young_philosopher@hotmail.com

Thanx again :)

-------------------------------

Dear mosquitoba,

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Park victoria seems to be a great place. You have been there for 4 months. For me am only going to be there for a month! I don't know are the people there are going to accept that!

Another Issue: Let me discuss it with my parent am not sure if we can afford for $1100.

Thanks a lot ...

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hala,

Can you elaborate on this privacy issue a bit. Do you require two separate bathrooms? Or would a bathroom with a door be acceptable?

A furnished apartment may be hard to come by, but keep your eyes on that website and email each one that looks promising to ask questions!

Keep in touch

CC

Guest young philosopher

Dear CC,

About the privacy issue.. I was trying to say that we as a family (My father, mother, sister and myself) can not share facilities like bathrooms and kitchen with other we need a separate one for our own use..and that's it:D

and thanks again :)

Guest young philosopher

Dear mosquitoba,

I promised you to discuss with my parents about "Park victoria" and they agreed to take that apartment.

Just please let me know more about it and to whom I can email and ask for it.

I'll be waiting for your reply..

Thanks.....

Guest stepstofollow

Hala:

I'm still keeping watch for anything....

I know you need two bathrooms to accommodate you, your mother and sister and father.

Do you also need two kitchens? It may be very hard to find an apartment with two kitchens. Is it ok to have 2bathrooms and 1 kitchen?

I hope it is ok ....:\ , but I posted your request for an apartment on the Dalhousie Buy/Sell website available to Dal students, through my own access. A lot of people post things things there -- sublets, textbooks, etc.

Like I said, you may find something with two bathrooms, but having separate kitchen facilities is very unlikely, unless you get two apartments! Will that be ok with your parents?

Here is what I posted for you: I hope it is ok?:eek

Need a sublet Posted: 12:35AM Sun 15 May 05

Category: Housing

Description: Urgently looking for a furnished short term, summer sublet to accomodate a student (and family) doing a medical school elective at Dalhousie from June 9 - July 9 /2005. Needs 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and ample kitchen.

Price: $800/mo. negotiable.

Expires: 14 day(s)

Hopefully you'll get someone to email you!!!

Stepstofollow.;)

Guest young philosopher

Dear stepstofollow,

Thank you so much for your efforts I really appreciate it.

I know the privacy issue it is a little pit confusing.

For the apartment We need Only 1 bathroom not 2, 1 kitchen and 2 bedroom so we can share as a family but not with other people. I hope you can fix the info. about the request that you did for me.

I hope it is clear now...and sorry if I was not clear in the beginning.

Thank you all of you,,, thank you so much :)

Guest stepstofollow

Hi there -- no problem -- I will make that change right now. (Although two bathrooms are really nice to have! ;)

I was also speaking to a friend who is taking a class with me right now. She is from UAE. I was telling her about you, and that you were looking for an apartment. She may have a couple of suggestions for you as well. Is it ok if I give her your email address? She is going to give me hers today, and I will send it to you at your hotmail account. She is fluent in arabic as well.

Do you (and your family) need a drive from the airport? (You can also hire taxis/limos, etc -- but it always nice to be met there, when you come to a place you have never been!

Steps

Guest young philosopher

Hiiiiii steps :)

I am happy to know that someone from UAE is there. I'll be glad if you give her my email and I'll be happy to listen to her suggestions.

I agree with you..it will be nice if we are going to meet someone there:D , I don't like the feeling of being lost:( or strange8o .

I read your email, it seems that you found the requested apartment ;) . I'll contact now the email for that apartment and I'll wait for Rana's suggestions too. I am looking to hear from her.

Thank you steps for being helpful, that is really kind of you;) .

Guest mosquitoba

Hi Hala - sorry it has taken me so long to reply! If you want more information about the Park Victoria, you can access the company's website (the company that manages the "Park Vic" is called CAPREIT) at:

www.rentcanada.com/caprei...u1333.html

At the site above, you can click on "apply for apartment" at the bottom of the screen to apply for an apartment. I think you'd have to sign a 12 month lease though, which is probably longer than you'd want it for, right?

You can also check out this website below, to check for vacancies at Halifax apartment buildings.

www.gscrentals.com/Nova-S...index.html

The Park Vic is located at 1333 South Park Street in downtown Halifax. I would suggest emailing them to see if there are any vacancies. You can also check out the off-campus housing listing on the Dalhousie website to see if anyone is leasing their apartment. You can email CAPREIT at: renthalifax@capreit.net

I'm not living in Halifax right now, but if you have some contacts there you could also ask them to stop by and see if there are any vacancies at the Park Victoria.

I hope this all works out for you! :D

Mosquitoba

Archived