Premed 101 Forums

Dental And Med Apps Together

I applied to medical school this cycle with little hope and I am scheduled to write my DAT this coming November. I know it's a little late but I'm shadowing both at the moment to decide what I really want so I'm still applying to both, just in case.

1. If I get into dental school this year but decide to re-apply to medical school, can I defer an acceptance for the next year?

2. Will any specific school get information that I applied to both medicine and dentistry at their school?

3. Will this negatively affect the dental program's decision to consider me again if I re-apply next year after the deferral? 

I applied to medical school this cycle with little hope and I am scheduled to write my DAT this coming November. I know it's a little late but I'm shadowing both at the moment to decide what I really want so I'm still applying to both, just in case.

1. If I get into dental school this year but decide to re-apply to medical school, can I defer an acceptance for the next year?

2. Will any specific school get information that I applied to both medicine and dentistry at their school?

3. Will this negatively affect the dental program's decision to consider me again if I re-apply next year after the deferral? 

1. Yes you can I did it myself but to apply to better dental schools in the US.

2. Schools that use the same system (example University of Alberta) will know. 

3. I don't know but it shouldn't.

Hey Fretting,

Here are the answers to some of your questions.

1. It depends on the dental school. Most Canadian dental schools don't allow deferral, but some U.S. dental schools do. Please check with the specific dental school.

2. Once again, it depends on the school. For example, at the University of Toronto, the Faculty of Dentistry and Faculty of Medicine are completely independent of one another during their admission process.

3. It depends on the school. Some keep record of their previous applicants and some don't.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Although it may seem counter-intuititive, I don't believe schools actually mind if you apply to both their medicine and dentistry programs.  I have a friend who was accepted into both the med and dental programs at UBC this past cycle, for instance.   Best of luck!

Archived