Premed 101 Forums

Requirements

Guest Mystery

Guest Mystery

Is doing an honours degree really necessary for getting in? I've heard that if someone who took just a regular major had higher marks than someone doing an honours degree, the major would get in first. Also when doing a major, does a double major look better when you're trying to get accepted to med school?

Guest acropolistica

In my opinion, the worst reason to do anything is so it can go on your med school application/resume. Would you enjoy doing a double major or honours degree? I did an honours degree, and it let me know that research was definitely not a career I am interested in. It may give you that experience also, or it may give you the opposite. Do a double major only if you feel you would enjoy it. Good marks will come with a degree you enjoy pursuing. Like I said, signing up for something just to beef up your application isn't a good angle to take: you may end up regretting your decision and harming your application in the long run.

Do what you like to do: I can't emphasize this enough.

Guest seonagh
In my opinion, the worst reason to do anything is so it can go on your med school application/resume. Would you enjoy doing a double major or honours degree?

I would agree but with caution. UWO has recently introduced the requirement of an honours and the introduction of that requirement will occur such that it will affect new students entering university. It is also possible that other schools will lean this way.

While it would never be a good idea to do something you hate just for the application only to enhance your app sometimes you do need to do something you might not otherwise if it would see you disqualified from applying to a school you have your heart set on.

I would recommend contacting any schools you are seriously interested in and checking out their requirements and going from their in a way that maximizes your interests and keeps your options open.

Seonagh

Guest Mystery

Hey thanks a lot for the advice guys. Right now I'm in my 3rd year of a Neuroscience degree at Dal. I started off wanting to do honours but have recently changed my mind and think I'm just going to stick with a major.

I have another question if anyone here has taken Gross Anatomy. It's a 3rd year Bio/anatomy disection course offered at Dal. I was planning on taking it this year but haven't talked to anyone that has taken it already so if anyone has taken or knows someone that has taken this class any info would be greatly appreciated.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Mystery

Great to see you posting! I also did a Neuroscience degree at dal and another option you might consider is the Nesc 3000 independent project course. You could do that in your fourth year, and it would be research (count as a credit) but it avoids all of the hastle of the honours program. (Ie: weekly booring meetings where they force you to listen to all of the psych students talking about showing babies pictures of cookie monster while burping them.. ..:) Just kidding*)

Honours isn't that bad, and you get a chance to see if you really like research. Some people completely change their minds about medicine once they do some hard core research. There is also the possibility that you won't get into medicine right away. An honours degree will give you more options than a regular degree (ie: masters, or technician in a lab).

Anatomy is a great course. I haven't taken it, but dal has a great anatomy department.

keep posting!

CC

Guest Mystery

CaesarCornelius,

It's cool to hear that you took Neuroscience too. I love it. I'm still debating whether or not to take honours. Right now I don't really want to but it seems like everyone who takes Neuro ends up doing an honours degree so I don't want to do a major if it means I won't be able to do anything with it after I graduate. I've talked to the prof about the anatomy course and I still REALLY REALLY want to take it but his advice was if I want to go into medicine not to take it because since you do that sort of class in med school anyway, I'd be better off taking a different class to have more diversity in my schedule and stuff.

I'm prepared if I don't get into med school right away, not many people I know got in first try. I'll find something to do until I do. But medicine is something I want to do more than anything so I don't really have a plan B. So I guess i'll just keep applying as many times as it takes until I do get in :P

I'm so glad I stumbled across this site, seems like a great place to get info and advice.

Thanks again guys :)

Archived