Premed 101 Forums

Last Minute Carving Questions

so I'm actually not terrible at carving anymore after going through 2 sets of soaps but I have a few questions remaining:  

1. is it okay to not "finish" the marking lines? for example, I sometimes stop my longitudinal lines semi-randomly after I know they're long enough, and don't really pay attention to them. Like so:  

6rfq3eC.png

I stop the red & blue lines partially through, with slight differences in the length of the lines, since I know triangles are usually only 8-10mm long and I don't need to finish the line. The yellow line is higher up and is for a flute on the other side. Is this okay or will it lose me marks?  

2. Also, is the pdf of MDT patterns containing ALL of the possible patterns we will receive?  

3. Lastly, the pdf shows the 3d drawings, pictures of the endpiece's front view, as well as a sort of TFE view of the pieces. Which one of these will I actually see on exam day? I heard, for example, that the 3d drawings will not be given on exam day?vhdRrLm.png

1. They don't judge you on any of your guide markers, so you don't need to worry about that. We're judged on smoothness of planes, accuracy of carved dimensions, and having tight 90 degree angles. 

2. I'm not sure what PDF you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure its almost always (if not always always) a saddle in the middle, and then some combo of straight or fluted ends that can be a plane, a square or a triangle. IQ pubs has a dome in one of their examples, but I've heard that's not going to show up (though anything is always possible). 

3. I am 90% sure they don't give you a 3D image, just the 2Ds

thanks for the info. I think the PDF may be new this year -- CDA released a pdf of patterns and said that the one we see on the actual dat may or may not be the same. For my third question, what about the front view of the ends? will that be given to us on the actual dat? (in my picture one of them shows the triangle inside the circle).

Im just wondering how long you get for carving during the DAT and when does it take place during testing? I believe I heard that it was at the beginning. The schools that I'm applying to don't require craving scores, so its' the thing I've focused on the least. 

thanks

If you're asking this question now, honestly expect to get below a 15.

But I guess it won't really matter unless you're applying to any American schools (they'll see it and can question you on it).

If you're asking this question now, honestly expect to get below a 15.

But I guess it won't really matter unless you're applying to any American schools (they'll see it and can question you on it).

I don't believe that user was asking for your opinion of how s/he will do on the carving section. Your answer is not helpful, it's just rude.

I don't believe that user was asking for your opinion of how s/he will do on the carving section. Your answer is not helpful, it's just rude.

Excuse me but getting a reality check is more important than letting her/him walk into an exam unprepared with false hope.

Dr. Watson Sorry if it came out rude, but that wasn't my intention. I'm telling you now while you have atleast 1 week to prepare incase you choose to apply to schools that need carving last minute. Good luck!

Excuse me buddy but getting a reality check is more important than letting her/him walk into an exam unprepared with false hope.

Dr. Watson Sorry if it came out rude, but that wasn't my intention. I'm telling you now while you have atleast 1 week to prepare incase you choose to apply to schools that need carving last minute. Good luck!

I guess you changed your mind since you last edited your response. 1st) Don't get offended. I was just pointing out that your answer was misplaced and unhelpful. Whether you meant it or not is moot. 2nd) My point still stands, Dr. Watson didn't ask for your opinion on his/her carving at any point, s/he was "just wondering how long you get for carving during the DAT and when does it take place during testing". If you're not going to answer that question, just don't say anything. S/he isn't asking for your "reality check". 3rd) I'm not your buddy. Maybe get into dental school before getting on your high horse.

I guess you changed your mind since you last edited your response. 1st) Don't get offended. I was just pointing out that your answer was misplaced and unhelpful. Whether you meant it or not is moot. 2nd) My point still stands, Dr. Watson didn't ask for your opinion on his/her carving at any point, s/he was "just wondering how long you get for carving during the DAT and when does it take place during testing". If you're not going to answer that question, just don't say anything. S/he isn't asking for your "reality check". 3rd) I'm not your buddy. Maybe get into dental school before getting on your high horse.

That's nice, and you were helping him/her out in what way? My point still stands:

1. Raindelays already answered the question. No point of me repeating the same answer.

2. Better to give someone a heads up than letting them fail. Most people think you can walk into the MDT and fluke it, so it is better to give a heads up while they still have 1 week to prepare than have a permanent scar on their DAT scores. And If Dr. Watson ends up applying to US schools or schools that look at MDT, then that MDT score is going to waste their year or even jeopardize their admission.

3. This forum isn't just to answer questions and walk away knowing the person is going to fail, it's to HELP each other other.

4. You don't make the rules. This is a forum to help each other out and that's all I did by giving him a heads up.

Like I said, I go on this forum to help people and if someone is bound for failure, I feel it's important to point it out rather than answer their question and ignore the obvious. If you think otherwise, then I respect that. Plus I already apologized if it came out rude, that was not my intention. And for the record, I got into UBC and Alberta dentistry last year but i'm taking the year off for personal reasons. Oh one more thing, sorry to bruise your ego but bolding your signature in red and stating that you got into Manitoba DMD doesn't give you any authority on this forum. Now please stop flaming this thread.

That's nice, and you were helping him/her out in what way? My point still stands:

1. Raindelays already answered the question. No point of me repeating the same answer.

2. Better to give someone a heads up than letting them fail. Most people think you can walk into the MDT and fluke it, so it is better to give a heads up while they still have 1 week to prepare than have a permanent scar on their DAT scores. And If Dr. Watson ends up applying to US schools or schools that look at MDT, then that MDT score is going to waste their year or even jeopardize their admission.

3. This forum isn't just to answer questions and walk away knowing the person is going to fail, it's to HELP each other other.

4. You don't make the rules. This is a forum to help each other out and that's all I did by giving him a heads up.

Like I said, I go on this forum to help people and if someone is bound for failure, I feel it's important to point it out rather than answer their question and ignore the obvious. If you think otherwise, then I respect that. Plus I already apologized if it came out rude, that was not my intention. And for the record, I got into UBC and Alberta dentistry last year but i'm taking the year off for personal reasons. Oh one more thing, sorry to bruise your ego but bolding your signature in red and stating that you got into Manitoba DMD doesn't give you any authority on this forum. Now please stop flaming this thread.

You're right, I guess I wasn't answering the question myself. But your uppity response/attitude bothered me enough to say something about it. And from people liking both of my posts in regards to your comments, it seems to me I only said what others were also thinking. I appreciate that you're trying to help. So am I. Unfortunately, you're not helping anyone here by being rude to them. And honestly, the way you're getting defensive about it it's only making you look worse. 

Not to worry, you won't bruise my ego. The fact that I'm happy of where I am isn't a bad thing nor do I feel it gives me any authority over anyone/anything. Like I said before, I only wrote my initial comment to let you know that what you said was rude or, at the very least, a misplaced sense of assistance. 

But you're right, I'm done with this discussion. I hope your personal issues get sorted out and you get back on track with your education.

Now that I think about it, I think I gave you a "reality check" regarding your attitude towards other members in this community. It shouldn't have upset you though because, hey, I'm just trying to help you. 

You're right, I guess I wasn't answering the question myself. But your uppity response/attitude bothered me enough to say something about it. And from people liking both of my posts in regards to your comments, it seems to me I only said what others were also thinking. I appreciate that you're trying to help. So am I. Unfortunately, you're not helping anyone here by being rude to them. And honestly, the way you're getting defensive about it it's only making you look worse. 

Not to worry, you won't bruise my ego. The fact that I'm happy of where I am isn't a bad thing nor do I feel it gives me any authority over anyone/anything. Like I said before, I only wrote my initial comment to let you know that what you said was rude or, at the very least, a misplaced sense of assistance. 

But you're right, I'm done with this discussion. I hope your personal issues get sorted out and you get back on track with your education.

Now that I think about it, I think I gave you a "reality check" regarding your attitude towards other members in this community. It shouldn't have upset you though because, hey, I'm just trying to help you. 

You're right, I may have come out as rude and I apologized. Then the person who pointed out that I was rude became even more rude towards me. It's ironic isn't it? I hope I gave you a "reality check" with your own attitude because you aren't any better than me. Have a good day ;)

Archived