Premed 101 Forums

Should I Apply To Mcgill Medical School?

medicalchanel

I'm going to be the negative one here and say apply if you want, but looking at their stats no one with GPAs <3.8 have gotten OOP interviews, and that person liklely submitted their MCAT as well considering the mean was a 4.0 for OOP.

If you do,I don't know that submitting your MCAT will assist

It says average gpa around 3,8....from my point of view, it means that there is people over and under 3,8! I have a friend that got in at McGill with a 3,6/4,3 at Udem. I'm not sure if everybody has at least 3,8 but I coule be wrong!

that's including 90% Quebec residents though, if you look at the average for OOP it's literally a 4.0

Honestly for an OOP, I wouldn't apply to McGill unless you have a near 4.0 and impressive ECs (with both quantity and quality). I'm not sure what McGill emphasizes in the EC department (if anything at all) but with only 10 OOP seats, knowing how popular of a destination McGill is and that they get I think around 900-1000 applicants just for those 10 seats, it's just something to keep in mind. Just my perspective, obviously I am not an expert so take it as you will.

Honestly for an OOP, I wouldn't apply to McGill unless you have a near 4.0 and impressive ECs (with both quantity and quality). I'm not sure what McGill emphasizes in the EC department (if anything at all) but with only 10 OOP seats, knowing how popular of a destination McGill is and that they get I think around 900-1000 applicants just for those 10 seats, it's just something to keep in mind. Just my perspective, obviously I am not an expert so take it as you will.

I know a OOP with GPA in the 3.8s at McGill.  Actually, I don't know a single person in McGill with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

Doesn't change the fact that getting in to McGill is incredibly difficult statistically.  

Some serious rounding must've taken place to have a mode of 4.0 

I know a OOP with GPA in the 3.8s at McGill.  Actually, I don't know a single person in McGill with a perfect 4.0 GPA.

Doesn't change the fact that getting in to McGill is incredibly difficult statistically.  

Some serious rounding must've taken place to have a mode of 4.0 

For a lot of the Ontario schools, our GPAs convert to 4.0 at McGill because both A and A+ = 4.0. My school (York), doesn't have an A-, so even if i had a 3.8 OMSAS it would be a 4.0 for McGill. 

For a lot of the Ontario schools, our GPAs convert to 4.0 at McGill because both A and A+ = 4.0. My school (York), doesn't have an A-, so even if i had a 3.8 OMSAS it would be a 4.0 for McGill. 

That is not necessarily the case. You have to convert the grade of each course, you cannot simply infer that an overall OMSAS GPA 3.8 is equivalent to that of a 4 for Mcgill. (That is if you were talking about converting overall GPA)

That is not necessarily the case. You have to convert the grade of each course, you cannot simply infer that an overall OMSAS GPA 3.8 is equivalent to that of a 4 for Mcgill. (That is if you were talking about converting overall GPA)

I meant individual courses, but I should have clarified. 

Archived