Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Gpa Calculation

Hi everyone!

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time now, and I figured I might as well join the fray now that I'm applying to schools this year.

I realize that the GPA calculation for the DMD program at UBC is an enigma, so I was hoping some people who have gone through the application experience could enlighten me on which GPA scale they might be using.

I've seen this scale floating around on some threads:

http://students.arts.ubc.ca/advising/academic-performance/gpa-equivalency/

My GPA is ~2-3% lower using the above scale than the UBC MD program scale below (Table 1):

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/evaluation-criteria/grade_conversion_table_-_jpeg21654/ 

Would anyone be able to attest to any scale being more accurate than the other? Thanks in advance!

UBC dent must use a conversion table similar to UBC MD.

Considering they both have very similar enrolment GPA averages it would only make sense. if UBC dental used the minimum of each grade category (A+ = 90%, A = 85%) then it would actually be more competitive than med because that GPA average is calculated at the mid point of each grade (A+ = 95%, A= 87%).

Example: 5 course GPA in % (assuming dental uses the minimum and med uses the mid)

Dental: 90, 90, 90, 85, 85 = 88% (3A+, 2A)

Med:    95, 87, 87, 87, 82 = 87.6% (1 A+, 3A, 1A-)

***so you can see the GPA in % is very similar BUT the dental student did much better in their courses. I highly doubt the dental students are more academically competitive than the med students.

My best friend got admitted last year to UBC dent and still doesn't know what his GPA was so take all of this with a grain of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the UBC MD scale my gpa is 85% and using the Regular UBC scale its 83%. Huge difference.

With a DAT of average scores (For admitted applicants), I did not get a interview last year. I've called them before and I asked them which scale they use and they said UBC med and dentistry are completely different departments yada yada

Aryanenzo: can you pm the break down of your grades by semester. I don't see why you didn't get an interview :S

I have a friend who got in what what he thought was an 85% average, and a 19 PAT, 21AA

I think it's because UBC uses the regular scale not the UBC MED scale. 

So at 83% and 22 AA and 20 PAT I didn't stand a chance unfortunately. I would have had a chance at the time when they interviewed 120 students but now they only interview 90 students and that makes it much more competitive. 

I think there is something wrong with your calculation...

83% is competitive considering the AVERAGE is 85-86%. For all the 87, 88, etc that get admitted, there a few of these higher GPAs, a lower GPA is there to balance out the mix. If 83 wasn't competitive than you're saying only a very narrow range of applicant GPA scores are present. This is not true.

I think there is something wrong with your calculation...

83% is competitive considering the AVERAGE is 85-86%. For all the 87, 88, etc that get admitted, there a few of these higher GPAs, a lower GPA is there to balance out the mix. If 83 wasn't competitive than you're saying only a very narrow range of applicant GPA scores are present. This is not true.

Well unfortunately that's what happened. And if you look in the previous interview/regrets thread there was a person with my stats that got rejected as well. It's only 90 students, so I think it's a very tight range. There was someone that got in with 83% but higher PAT score. 

I know someone with an 80% and another with 81% who interviewed - and both got in.

Their Dat scores were slightly higher though. Maybe they place more importance on DAT scores?

How did they calculate their GPA? MED or UBC? If they used MED to get that, maybe it would easier to assume this is the scale they utilize because a 78-79% is probably a long shot.

Well unfortunately that's what happened. And if you look in the previous interview/regrets thread there was a person with my stats that got rejected as well. It's only 90 students, so I think it's a very tight range. There was someone that got in with 83% but higher PAT score. 

I see what you're saying, hopefully you get a shot this year. It is actually kind of funny to think some people don't get the opportunity to do some careers based on 2% swing in an overall GPA.

Did you rewrite the DAT?

I see what you're saying, hopefully you get a shot this year. It is actually kind of funny to think some people don't get the opportunity to do some careers based on 2% swing in an overall GPA.

Did you rewrite the DAT?

I haven't re written it yet but I'm going to have to, perhaps a 20 PAT isn't enough for a 83% gpa. If I could just get 22AA 22 PAT that would guarantee an interview every year. 

Archived