Premed 101 Forums

Would A Second Degree Help?

Hello! I am considering graduating from my current university this year with 3 year general degree and going to another university to obtain a second degree. This is because I have not been able to get a great GPA in my current degree (~2.6) and wanted to make a fresh start. I was wondering if this was a good option if I still wanted to pursue dentistry either in Canada or Australia?

OR, would it be better to just get my 4 year honours bachelor's degree instead? I feel as if I'm closing some doors if I don't get the honours degree. 

What do you guys think? 

Depends on the school you want to go to.. You have to put some time into researching the schools.

For example.. Some schools consider ALL post secondary.. with your GPA you're probably not going to get into those.

Some schools consider only your two best years... Maybe you should forget about another degree and just take 2 years of easy classes?

Depends on the school you want to go to.. You have to put some time into researching the schools.

For example.. Some schools consider ALL post secondary.. with your GPA you're probably not going to get into those.

Some schools consider only your two best years... Maybe you should forget about another degree and just take 2 years of easy classes?

I was thinking then it would be better to graduate and take a new degree at an easier university instead if I would be staying the 2 years anyways.

This would at least give me a chance at schools that may look at the entire years of a degree but only take your most recent degree (I think McGill does this?) and still give me a shot at schools that look at the most recent 2 years. 

I think that's a smart plan, it'll likely just save you a year overall, and if anything I think it can show maturity if you know when something isn't working. 

Just make sure the schools you eventually want to apply to don't require an honours degree, i.e. make sure they accept third year undergrads normally because you may be considered as that. U ofT and Western both take third years

I think that's a smart plan, it'll likely just save you a year overall, and if anything I think it can show maturity if you know when something isn't working. 

Just make sure the schools you eventually want to apply to don't require an honours degree, i.e. make sure they accept third year undergrads normally because you may be considered as that. U ofT and Western both take third years

Western takes third years?

Does anyone suggest any university and degree programs that are good for a second degree? I've been thinking of applying to schools like York, Trent, Brock since I have heard they are easier?

I was in the same boat a few years ago -- went to U of T and graduated w/ something like a 2.89-2.93. I decided to do a second degree at U of T again, and I'm doing quite well the second time around at the exact same school that is rumored to be difficult.

If U of T Medicine's admission stats are any indicator, each year about 60/240 come from McMaster; about 50/240 come from U of T... and something like 3/240 from York. For this reason, I'm under the impression that most of the people who actually get into these competitive programs come from "difficult" schools anyway.

A second degree is essentially a second chance. Everyone who takes this route knows they won't get a third one, so it really helps to get you in gear. If you're set on doing a second degree as a springboard to dentistry -- which, btw, is by no means a trivial decision; it's a 4-year commitment/sacrifice -- you may already have the maturity and ambition/determination to succeed during your second stint regardless of what school you go to.

Good luck.

I was in the same boat a few years ago -- went to U of T and graduated w/ something like a 2.89-2.93. I decided to do a second degree at U of T again, and I'm doing quite well the second time around at the exact same school that is rumored to be difficult.

If U of T Medicine's admission stats are any indicator, each year about 60/240 come from McMaster; about 50/240 come from U of T... and something like 3/240 from York. For this reason, I'm under the impression that most of the people who actually get into these competitive programs come from "difficult" schools anyway.

A second degree is essentially a second chance. Everyone who takes this route knows they won't get a third one, so it really helps to get you in gear. If you're set on doing a second degree as a springboard to dentistry -- which, btw, is by no means a trivial decision; it's a 4-year commitment/sacrifice -- you may already have the maturity and ambition/determination to succeed during your second stint regardless of what school you go to.

Good luck.

Beast. Good for you man. I hope you get in this year, sounds like you deserve it.

While this sounds like a reasonable strategy, the reality is (I looked into it at one point before ever starting university knowing I was aiming for dentistry and needed to maximize gpa) - you need to apply for a program and take the prerequisites in order in each respective program. That being said, it would be reasonable to do your homework /self analysis as to which program and courses are your strength and take only your "strong" courses where you are more likely to succeed. Naturally you need to ensure that you include the prerequs for the dentistry program you are aiming for - do an exhaustive search of university programs within the science areas that allow you to take your strengths and your prerequs together. It's all about getting the maximum gpa for every hour invested. Sounds mechanical but that is essentially what it comes down to if you've decided dentistry or nothing. 

Good luck.

Woah, around half of incoming dental students either come from Mac or UofT?? I was under the impression that most Canadian dental schools did not care where you did your undergrad degree.

While this sounds like a reasonable strategy, the reality is (I looked into it at one point before ever starting university knowing I was aiming for dentistry and needed to maximize gpa) - you need to apply for a program and take the prerequisites in order in each respective program. That being said, it would be reasonable to do your homework /self analysis as to which program and courses are your strength and take only your "strong" courses where you are more likely to succeed. Naturally you need to ensure that you include the prerequs for the dentistry program you are aiming for - do an exhaustive search of university programs within the science areas that allow you to take your strengths and your prerequs together. It's all about getting the maximum gpa for every hour invested. Sounds mechanical but that is essentially what it comes down to if you've decided dentistry or nothing. 

How does it work if I have already taken most dental prereqs at my current university (I'm coming from a Life Sci degree). They would be considered "transfer credits" at the new university and will only show up as Pass/Fail on the transcripts so how would GPA be calculated? I'm assuming doing two years of easier courses would not be looked at favourably so I was going to enter a program like Biology or Psychology and take their respective courses in order to graduate at the new university but would I have to take the dental prereqs again? 

Hi guys, I am in a similar situation to OP, and I am a recent engineering graduate from a hong kong university with a really gpa (~2). I am thinking about doing dentistry in Canada (i am a citizen) some years later, so the only way to enter dental school is to do a second bachelor degree. My question is, do I really need to finish a 4-year degree or could I just fulfill the basic requirements (DAT, pre-reqs,etc) within 2-3 years to get into dental school ? Thanks a lot guys!

Hi guys, I am in a similar situation to OP, and I am a recent engineering graduate from a hong kong university with a really gpa (~2). I am thinking about doing dentistry in Canada (i am a citizen) some years later, so the only way to enter dental school is to do a second bachelor degree. My question is, do I really need to finish a 4-year degree or could I just fulfill the basic requirements (DAT, pre-reqs,etc) within 2-3 years to get into dental school ? Thanks a lot guys!

If you did a 4-year honors first degree, then you must do an equivalent 4-year honors second degree (or higher) - this is the Canadian university policy on second degree. As for dentistry, only full time 4-year programs are deemed competitive. They don't consider anything else if you've already done a first degree. So yes, you really do need to finish a 4-year degree but you can finish this in 2-3 years given that this is a similar degree to your first degree.

If you did a 4-year honors first degree, then you must do an equivalent 4-year honors second degree (or higher) - this is the Canadian university policy on second degree. As for dentistry, only full time 4-year programs are deemed competitive. They don't consider anything else if you've already done a first degree. So yes, you really do need to finish a 4-year degree but you can finish this in 2-3 years given that this is a similar degree to your first degree.

thanks for your reply! do you mean i could only do another engineering degree in canada? 

and would dental schools look into my first degree? 

and would dental schools look into my first degree? 

To answer your first question, you can do whatever degree you want but you can finish the degree 1-2 years earlier if you do something that is similar to your first degree because of "transfer credits" (although they're not really "credits").

U of T and Western look at your transcripts from all universities that you attended, but they only consider GPA from your second degree, given that you have finished a 4-year program in your second degree.

thanks for your reply! do you mean i could only do another engineering degree in canada? 

No? You could likely do anything but

check individual school websites. Policies are listed there, but usually it requires a similiar (i.e. science), but still significantly different degree

i.e. you probably couldn't get a life sci degree then a physiology degree

Beast. Good for you man. I hope you get in this year, sounds like you deserve it.

Thank you!

Woah, around half of incoming dental students either come from Mac or UofT?? I was under the impression that most Canadian dental schools did not care where you did your undergrad degree.

Sorry for the confusion, but to be clear I was citing U of T *Medicine* admission stats. The purpose of my doing so was merely to demonstrate that a lot of people who get into competitive professional programs actually did their undergrads at "challenging" schools to begin with, which is contrary to my previous beliefs (I used to think that someone who does their undergrad at an "easy" school has a leg up, but after looking at the admission stats I'm convinced otherwise). And yes, this is despite the fact that neither U of T Medicine nor U of T Dentistry favor their own students.

Keep in mind that the environment you study in matters a whole lot; if you go to an "easy" school where few people study, it can become "easy" to get sucked into that.

How does it work if I have already taken most dental prereqs at my current university (I'm coming from a Life Sci degree). They would be considered "transfer credits" at the new university and will only show up as Pass/Fail on the transcripts so how would GPA be calculated? I'm assuming doing two years of easier courses would not be looked at favourably so I was going to enter a program like Biology or Psychology and take their respective courses in order to graduate at the new university but would I have to take the dental prereqs again? 

"To Whom It May Concern:

Hello, my name is ______ and I'm an alumnus from the University of Toronto who's interested in dentistry, currently pursuing a second degree. I was just wondering if courses from the first degree can be used to satisfy prerequisites?

Yes.

If so, would the GPA from those courses count towards the GPA of the second degree?
No.

Also, as a second degree student I was granted 6.0 credits. Can these count towards the 15 credits required before I am eligible to apply?
No.

Thanks.

Regards,

______

"

This only applies to U of T Dent; other schools might have diff rules.

I would look into this, not sure if that applies to all schools.

I'm pretty sure that U of T Dentistry doesn't care about part-time/full-time or your program of study, according to their admission guidelines. Sorry to keep harping on and on about U of T Dentistry, but it's the only school I applied to so I've become quite familiar w/ their admission guidelines.

With regards to the original topic, iirc (you should probably look this up btw), a second degree is only viable at U of Sask Dentistry; Western Dentistry and U of T Dentistry. I think all of the other schools look at your first degree.

I'm pretty sure that U of T Dentistry doesn't care about part-time/full-time or your program of study, according to their admission guidelines. Sorry to keep harping on and on about U of T Dentistry, but it's the only school I applied to so I've become quite familiar w/ their admission guidelines.

With regards to the original topic, iirc (you should probably look this up btw), a second degree is only viable at U of Sask Dentistry; Western Dentistry and U of T Dentistry. I think all of the other schools look at your first degree.

thx for your info. so do you mean a poor result obtained from first bachelor would hurt my chance to enter other dental schools? even i do well in my second bachelor...

thx for your info. so do you mean a poor result obtained from first bachelor would hurt my chance to enter other dental schools? even i do well in my second bachelor...

From my recollection -- but you should really double check -- all of the Canadian schools consider the GPA of your first degree except U of Sask; Western; and U of T. I don't know exactly what this means though. Do they take the average GPA of both degrees, or do they consider your second degree more heavily if you've shown major improvement? Or maybe some other criteria? TBH, since I knew there are schools that don't even look at your first degree, I just went with one of those. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Archived