Premed 101 Forums

Applying To American Fellowships?

Edict

I have a question concerning fellowships in the states. Do internal medicine subspecialties match work just like residency match in Canada? I know that residency matches are binding, meaning if you matched in Canada you cannot match in the States, however does the same apply to IM subspecialties? 

Is there a track record of CMGs doing IM in Canada followed by a subspecialty in the states? Is this feasible? 

Thanks  :)

The match for IM specialties through CaRMS is binding, just as it is with the main residency match.

With the change to J1 visa statements of need now excluding subspecialties for those without a license to practice medicine in Canada, the options for going to the US for full subspecialty training are more restricted than in the past. You'd either need to find a program offering an alternative visa (usually an H1B) or complete your general IM training before applying for subspecialties in the US. There does seem to be a small loophole if you can convince your province to sponsor your subspecialty training, but aside from high-need provinces and/or high-need subspecialties (think Geriatrics), I'm not sure how likely that would be.

Its actually a bit unclear, I would contact health Canada.

From what I read on their site, since you would be doing your main residency in Canada- you would be under category A...and it says that rcspsc approved subspecialties can be also endorsed under category A...(and there aren't any posted limits on Cat A).. So I'm not sure exactly.

The new change for subspecialties training only being granted under category c(full lincense) applies to those formerly under category B- who did main residency in the US...this wouldn't be the case for you if you did main residency in Canada(category A).

Definitely contact health Canada directly.

Thanks everyone, If I was to for example apply to both CaRMS's medicine subspecialty match and NRMP's medicine subspecialty match, because CaRMS's match happens earlier in December while NRMP's happens in February, does that mean I will automatically be withdraw from NRMP if I matched to CaRMS? 

I know this is how it is for residency matching and that is explicitly stated on CaRMS website, but they never explicitly stated that you would be withdrawn from NRMP if you matched to CaRMS for fellowship matching. 

I know super fellowship (interventional cardiology) is different as it seems to be outside of the matching system, but for this i'm referring mostly to a medicine subspecialty like cardiology or oncology. 

Archived