Premed 101 Forums

The 22nd?

Guest eJaya

Guest eJaya

Is anyone out there up for a pub night on the 22nd of August (Friday)? People who just got in/got in last year or applied and didn't get in this time? Let me know and we'll name a place and time!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Im in for sure..:)

(BTW: Dr.Octopus and I have known eachother for quite some time, Damn these ambiguous logon names!!!!)

Guest dr octopus

Alehouse is a terrific place to close a night, but the music doesn't make for good conversations. Pitchman's is far less of a pub and far more of a club now (not that's necessarily a bad thing), but I don't think it'd be quite the pub atmosphere as suggested; plus, the place is generally pretty weak on Friday nights.

I think the pub (or pubs) of choice depends on what is wanted out of what time during the evening (and how much walking everyone wants to do), as well as budgets.

If you're gonna go for food, you're probably best of starting at the Moustache (and if it's a nice day, the patio would be terrific if everyone started early). Both the Fife and the Triangle are great places, but they're a little pricey. Mugsy's is also pretty cool, and the food is decent, but sometimes there's an issue with space. The Lower Deck, of course, is awesome, but it's normally tough to get seating and inside is sweltering. I think for a can't-go-wrong pub, Maxwell's is it. Great atmosphere, decent food, tons of beer, prices aren't ridiculous, and you can normally drag enough chairs and tables together (plus the take reservations)...and the music isn't so overwhelming that people can't have a conversation.

I mean, it all depends on what people want, but I'd throw my vote at maybe the Moustache to start off, then to Maxwell's, and finish the evening at the Alehouse. If that doesn't suit tastes, and people aren't that gung-ho about it, it's hard to go wrong with just Maxwell's, and if anyone wants to stay out longer, the Alehouse is right there.

My two cents.

Dr.O

Guest amoeba joe

Good points Dr. O.

I agree with the Maxwell's suggestion. I am game for anything though. I have a wedding rehersal in Wolfville that evening so I may have to meet everyone later on.

Hey, does anyone live in the south end of Hali? Quite the commotion this morning!

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

Im game for anything (I don't hit the downtown pub scene too often, so Im sure I will be really impressed with anything you all decide...:P )

On a more explosive note

www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/08/07/halifax_blast030807

my WIFE (wierd)... said that the blast shook our apartment, she said that everything inside move about 2 inches to the left... I think we were going to be evacuated, but then they got things under control.

CC

Guest eJaya

Hi guys,

Maxwell's sounds like a great place. I haven't been to a lot of the pubs in Hlfx so anything is good. What about 8 pm? Early enough for food, late enough for drinks? BTW, where is this place located and I'm going to bring my bf so feel free to bring any tag-alongs!

MJM

Guest amoeba joe

I didn't know what happened at first. I could see/smell the smoke and hear the firetrucks so I turned the news on and was shocked to hear of the "large explosion that rocked the Halifax waterfront". I nosily made tracks for the bridge but couldn't see much.

CC, glad to hear you weren't evacuated afterall!

Guest dr octopus

Yeah, I think the news made the explosion out to be a little more sensational than what it really was...I was expecting a lot more from "grain elevator explodes", but you could smell the smoke all over Halifax, all the way up to the north end.

Okay, sounds like some resounding favour for Maxwell's...good choice...there's just something...what's the word...AWESOME...about 50 or so beers on tap (plus, if you want to eat, kitchen's open till 2am...I highly recommend the frying pan nachos). For those who don't know where it is, Maxwell's Plum is located on the corner of Grafton & Sackville. It's on the same street as Pizza Corner, just one block over; it's also just down the hill from Citadel Hill.

Let's get a time lined up, and if we get an estimate for a number, we can get ourselves a reservation, and then we'll see where the evening takes us.

Later gators.

Dr.O

Guest novacanuck

Hey All,

Sounds like a sweet idea to me. I'd love to meet some of u before the Aloha BBQ. I'll keep checkin' this place. Let me know on what time u decide. Yeah, I heard about the Grain Elevator on the news. I haven't moved up to the city yet...well, I took some stuff to my place but I think I'm only moving up permanently on the 18-19th or smtg like that. I'm just off South Park Street.

Keep in Touch,

Ben

Guest UWOMED2005

What's Maxwell's? I remember there being a place called the Plum, but no Maxwell's! :P

My friends and I were there for every Super bowl 1998-2001, and many NHL playoffs nights. Do they still have the $1.79 Wing-steak and fries? Wish I could join you.

Guest UWOMED2005

Darn inflation. :)

Yeah, when they had those $1.99 Atlantic storm (beer) with food purchase and $1.79 Wing steak + fries, with $0.79 to add a second steak with beverage purchase, we used to go there all the time and get 2 Beers + 2 steaks and fries for $10, incl tax and tip. Crazy.

They also sponsored our rugby team.

But we always called 'The plum'

Guest dr octopus

Yeah, to me it will always be "The Plum". But whenever you say "we're going to the plum", the reaction it tends to elicit from the lay-drinkers is "what's the plum? hey, there's a maxwell's plum, is that the same place?". "Maxwell's" just saves a headache sometimes.

I remember a time when it wasn't even that you had to drink the @#%$ beer like Atlantic Storm (worst beer ever made) or Plum Pale (aka Old Milwaukee) for $2...the $2 special was on all the good beers...every week, a favourite...Stella, Hoegaarden, John Smith's...ah, those were the days. But those days have gone the way of, well, the REALLY cheap steak or burger specials. Darn inflation is right.

A single tear.

Dr.O

Guest UWOMED2005

Atlantic storm wasn't that bad. I'd take it over the Propeller beers - though it's possible my one experience with Propeller involved a skank keg.

I actually really like Black Pearl and 1749 before the company went under.

Guest dr octopus

Some of the Maritime Brew Co. beers weren't too bad at all...Black Pearl was probably their best. Frosted Frog was a mistake. But Atlantic Storm was the first, and only, beer I've ever had after a game of shinny that made me say, "You know, I think I'll just have water instead."

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, the Frosted Frog bit was weird. They initially came out with 6 specialty beers with beautiful labels and maritime themes catering to the beer connoisseur market. Then they come out with this one extra one with a completely different angle that bombed. I think what really torpedoed them though was the fact they came out with 6 beers at once, and tried to make them all profitable at the same time - just doesn't work that way. What they did later, carrying Black Pearl and 1749 only, was probably what they should have done from the start but I guess it was too late.

Besides, my favourite breweries were Garrison's (Barrack St. Brown all the way, the Irish Red's not bad either) and Granite Brewery (Their Peculiar ale won the Toronto Beer festival 5-10 years ago, causing them to set up a sattelite operation in T.O.)

I'd trade all the Upper Canada microbreweries (with the possible exception of Creemore) for just those two breweries.

Guest dr octopus

Agreed. Another excellent microbrew here is Shippey's Brewing Co. They provide brew to Split Crow, Peddler's, etc., and have an excellent location in the Harbourside. Although it's a little pricey, you can't beat sitting right on the waterfront, drinking their blueberry beer (with real blueberries floating in it) in the summer time.

Dr.O

Guest dr octopus

Alright, what time do we wanna do this pub thing? I know 8pm was suggested before...that cool with everyone?

I'll try to get some reservations, but I'm gonna need #s...everyone who can and will make it, post here so I can get an idea. Reservation should be under "Dal Med"...that is, if I can make one....

Dr.O

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Dr.O.

I might be dying of hunger by then.. But 8 is ok with me. I think Im going to take a trip out to queensland that day (supposed to be sunny). Me and my WIFE (OMG!) will be in attendance.

If any of you guys are in town today or tomorow come to the DAL Student union building and get your Dal Id (for new students) or get an update for returning students. Im located in the basement level across from travel cuts.

CC

Guest amoeba joe

I will also be attending. My boyfriend and another Med I friend will be with me. We have a wedding rehersal to attend in Wofville at 7pm so we will be late (probably 9ish).

CC - I hit Queensland today.... darn fog>: I think I will drop by tomorrow to get my ID.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Great AmoebaJoe, I usually take lunch around 12 so make sure you come before or after so we can meet! I don't know your real name so make sure you mention that you're going into medicine and im sure to catch on..

CC

Hi there,

I made the U-Haul east, in the midst of the black-outs and all and have finally unpacked. I'll definitely be there with my bf at 8pm.

I think I'll also get my card- do I need to bring anything with me?

Thanks!

Archived