Premed 101 Forums

U Of T/western Interview Advise

I'd like to get some specific advise/info on their interview process from anyone who has experience. I don't mind paying you in gratitude. I don't have much information and I don't know anyone who is in dental school so I feel very lost. With interview month approaching I am so nervous that I can't even sleep these days.

I'd like to get some specific advise/info on their interview process from anyone who has experience. I don't mind paying you in gratitude. I don't have much information and I don't know anyone who is in dental school so I feel very lost. With interview month approaching I am so nervous that I can't even sleep these days.

Haha. Not sure if I feel bad for you for losing sleep over this, or if I feel guilty for not stressing as much as you.

There's no use loosing sleep at this stage in the game. Whatever happens, happens...

The interview is very straight forward at UofT or UWO.

Just practice with a friend, and have a few life experiences on hand to help answer the questions.

At the end of the day, the CDA style interview, feels like any other job interview, which I am sure you've been through before.

Good luck :)

I have a friend in dental school who has advised me that the key is to go into the interview feeling confident - that will convey your personal confidence in your own abilities and therefore influence their impression in your abilities as well. Personally I'm like you - I feel naturally nervous since interviewing is not my strength. Therefore she suggested doing the work to practice to get prepared so that I will feel more confident. There are plenty of resources out there to help with the practice like Topstar, Elite, Crush, and Dental Interview Plus. She said that CDA interviews particularly lend themselves well to preparation.

I have a friend in dental school who has advised me that the key is to go into the interview feeling confident - that will convey your personal confidence in your own abilities and therefore influence their impression in your abilities as well. Personally I'm like you - I feel naturally nervous since interviewing is not my strength. Therefore she suggested doing the work to practice to get prepared so that I will feel more confident. There are plenty of resources out there to help with the practice like Topstar, Elite, Crush, and Dental Interview Plus. She said that CDA interviews particularly lend themselves well to preparation.

I agree re lots of practice... I had both Crush and Dental Interview Plus recommended to me in terms of guiding the practice and making the most of the time you have. I plan on using both and have started already. Hope I'm not jinxing things before offers come out but I don't want to take the chance of having enough time to get the work done to feel confident.

I agree re lots of practice... I had both Crush and Dental Interview Plus recommended to me in terms of guiding the practice and making the most of the time you have. I plan on using both and have started already. Hope I'm not jinxing things before offers come out but I don't want to take the chance of having enough time to get the work done to feel confident.

Ya, I'm trying to get in as much practice as I can while concurrently studying for the DAT (retake just in case) while concurrently studying for classes :S

• 3 weeks later...

I heard that Western's interviews are 3-on-1, I think that's the same at UofT - the more practice you can get going into it the better, right up until the day before the interview, then take a day off and have a breather!  They want to see someone who can have the right answers and know how to keep their cool at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of working my way through the Dental Interview Plus situational questions and thought we could all benefit by sharing perspective on potential responses - to make sure I'm thinking as broadly as I should about applying the competencies in general. For example "You and a friend are critiquing each other’s work for an assignment. After reading your friend’s work you feel it is not good enough to hand in. What would you do?" I'd appreciate others' thoughts.

Archived