Premed 101 Forums

Question About U Of T Stats

I was looking at some U of T accepted posts from last year and apparently, everyone on these forums has a 3.96+ GPA, as if that's a cutoff. Some people say the number is biased, but is it really biased? The average GPA of accepted applicants from last year was 3.90 and considering that this includes people with a masters, I'm really thinking that every single IP undergraduate student who got into U of T dentistry has a minimum GPA of 3.96...

I have a 3.92 GPA and average DAT scores. Clearly, I am not competitive at all among undergrads and I don't even have a masters. Should I just give up this year and consider other field or just do a masters and come back? This is really stressful.

Why not apply! You have nothing to lose. Don't take the messages on these forums to seriously. For one, the people who post only make a subset of the dental school applicants and additionally you have no way to verify what their applications look like: perhaps they took part studies, or maybe they retook a course 3 times. There is a great variety of students who get interviews. I would apply before I dedicated the time and effort into a masters. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!!!

I know two people who got in to, one U of T dental and the other U of T med, with GPAs in the 3.9-3.93 range. It is easily doable, there is no 3.96 IP minimum. Assuming of course that U of T is using OMSAS and not their own GPA scale in which case a 3.9 could be closer to 3.95 when the conversion is made from some schools. 

Archived