Premed 101 Forums

Decision Time?

Guest DalHopeful

Guest DalHopeful

Does anyone know how soon after the last maritime interviews the committee begins the process of deciding who they are going to let in?

Do they decide in phases? For example, phase I would be the applicants who are quickly accepted (outstanding candidates). Phase II would be another pass over the applicants and so on..

How many people get waitlisted at dal? I can't imagine its more than 5...

I thought I would try and stimulate some conversation on here...8)

Last year there seemed to be two main waves of acceptance letters given by Dal, one in early March, and the other at the end of June. The selection committee meets every two weeks (I think) from February until June.

I'm not sure how many people are on the wait list, but I know that several people were called during the last week of August! So if you do get waitlisted, don't give up!

Guest cgb2006

Some offers go out very early. In my experience, I interviewed on Feb 15th and received an offer dated March 2nd. So, some of you will hear very early! Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to Tracy Teed and she told me that this year the selection committee meets every week and goes through one batch of applications, so you can hear anytime from this week until the end of July. Does this make sense to anyone else? It seems to me that this process is not quite right because you may have some bad bunches (well, as bad as a bunch of med applicants can be :) ) and then later some top notch bunches...Does anyone else have some input on this?

I would imagine that even though they are considered in "batches" that the applicant files are reviewed on an individual basis. I wouldn't expect the committee to take a stack of say 20 applicants and compare them one to another and then pick the best out of the group, but take the stack of twenty, review one applicant, make a decision and move on to the next. I'm sure this sort of thing happens at most medical schools. Take the Ontario schools for example, they have about 400 interviews but everyone finds out on the same day if they were accepted or not. They probably also review the files in batches, however, at Dal, you hear the week after your file has been reviewed and not several months down the road. It would be impossible to go though all of the applicants at the same time. Don't worry, it will be nice to hear asap about your file!

Archived