Premed 101 Forums

Any Other Ntps Losing Their Mind With The Eternal Wait?

Reyk

I think I began to lose my mind this week. I almost forgot about my application until February, but now it seems I can't get it out of my head and it doesn't help when people around me keep asking me about it. "Nothing yet?? Are you sure?" Yes, I'm sure. I think. Actually, I don't know. Well, I know it says March, but March has 31 days. Who knew that waiting could be so torturous...

Well, I know it says March, but March has 31 days. Who knew that waiting could be so torturous...

Haha, I actually said this exact line today - but March has 31 days! 

I am telling myself that once we hit March it would literally be anytime. So, if I can just make it until March (6 days and counting) I think it will go a lot faster. Though, probably one of those ideas that theoretically look great, but in practice is a complete disaster.  

Tick tock, tick tock ...........

So just when we thought we were getting to the elusive "March 2016", the target date to send out interview invitations is now April 11 for NTPs, along with the Med-P. I'm really not sure why our deadline to apply was Nov. 2.

Time to book a vacation.

So just when we thought we were getting to the elusive "March 2016", the target date to send out interview invitations is now April 11 for NTPs, along with the Med-P. I'm really not sure why our deadline to apply was Nov. 2.

Time to book a vacation.

Wait what? I'm sorry but that sucks... we've had to send out our application for November 2ND like everyone else and we have to wait 2 and a half months more ?? All that wait and stress that keeps dragging... man

Wait what? I'm sorry but that sucks... we've had to send out our application for November 2ND like everyone else and we have to wait 2 and a half months more ?? All that wait and stress that keeps dragging... man

If you were applying to Toronto, you'd have to have your application in even earlier while having a similar day for the last of their interview invites.

I'm sorry you had to wait longer, but you also didn't fulfill the necessary reqs for the traditional IP category.

If you were applying to Toronto, you'd have to have your application in even earlier while having a similar day for the last of their interview invites.

I'm sorry you had to wait longer, but you also didn't fulfill the necessary reqs for the traditional IP category.

True, but had I been able to apply at the same time as the med-p students, I would've been able to apply using my biochemistry degree, in which I have accumulated 45 credits including the fall semester and for which I have a 3.85 GPA, as my academic reference instead of having to use my classical music degree in which I only have a 3.34 GPA. That's a huge difference for my application this year and being 31, a year also makes a huge difference.. I will apply next year no matter what, but I find it kind of unfair that our fall semester can't be taken in consideration and we still have to wait that long compared to the IP category.

Time to book a vacation.

oh no!

where did you see this? can't seem to find it on the website!

oh no!

where did you see this? can't seem to find it on the website!

https://mcgill.ca/medadmissions/home-office-admissions-faculty-medicine

I feel for you guys (and here i am thinking the post interview wait is long lol) 

What are your coping mechanisms?  

Going zip-lining across Place des Arts at 3:15am during nuit blanche took my mind off of things for 5 hours (of waiting in line) and 15 seconds (of actual zip-lining). Also, in the last 2 weeks I've probably read every successful non-traditional story in the history of the internet for inspiration, hope and motivation.

True, but had I been able to apply at the same time as the med-p students, I would've been able to apply using my biochemistry degree, in which I have accumulated 45 credits including the fall semester and for which I have a 3.85 GPA, as my academic reference instead of having to use my classical music degree in which I only have a 3.34 GPA. That's a huge difference for my application this year and being 31, a year also makes a huge difference.. I will apply next year no matter what, but I find it kind of unfair that our fall semester can't be taken in consideration and we still have to wait that long compared to the IP category.

I here you. The timeline is frustrating. I went through the same frustration myself. I would try to keep in mind that McGill offers a pretty exceptional "blank slate" with their second degree policy. Because applications are due in November, they pretty much had to choose whether to let students apply after one year (30 credits) or force them to wait until after the degree is complete. It wouldn't really be realistic to judge people based on 30 credits, so it has to be the latter. I suppose highly motivated students could try to do 18 credits in fall/winter and another 9 during the summer... I thought about it but decided that combo would be exhausting and also nearly impossible to meet degree requirements.

Not saying this to take away from your frustration, I get it, but it's good to keep some perspective about these policies. 

That said, I'm not really sure why interview invites have to take so long for NTP. 

Good luck this year, and if needed, next year. Keep that 2nd degree GPA up. 

From a fellow 30-something with two bachelors degrees.

I here you. The timeline is frustrating. I went through the same frustration myself. I would try to keep in mind that McGill offers a pretty exceptional "blank slate" with their second degree policy. Because applications are due in November, they pretty much had to choose whether to let students apply after one year (30 credits) or force them to wait until after the degree is complete. It wouldn't really be realistic to judge people based on 30 credits, so it has to be the latter. I suppose highly motivated students could try to do 18 credits in fall/winter and another 9 during the summer... I thought about it but decided that combo would be exhausting and also nearly impossible to meet degree requirements.

Not saying this to take away from your frustration, I get it, but it's good to keep some perspective about these policies.

That said, I'm not really sure why interview invites have to take so long for NTP.

Good luck this year, and if needed, next year. Keep that 2nd degree GPA up.

From a fellow 30-something with two bachelors degrees.

Thank you I appreciate the kind words and I do understand McGill's policy on this, I just wish they'd put me out of my misery earlier if it's not meant to be. As you must know, it's pretty exhausting to go through all this being older and wanting to get started as soon as possible, but I'm not about to quit after working so hard for so long,the wait is just so stressful!

Archived