Premed 101 Forums

Any news on this year's applicant pool?

Guest devomcd

Guest devomcd

Apparently the number of applications in Ontario has jumped up by about 17%. I'm just curious about the size of the applicant pool (or any other info) at Dal. Any news would be interesting!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arcticaguy

hey devomcd, the number floating around is close to 480-up from last year's low of 295. However, this is closer to the usual 400, give or take, applications on an average year. They haven't been sorted yet for eligibility/residency status/etc.

good luck.

hey there. I was wondering if you could post any new info about the applicant pool that you get. Things like eligibility, residency, etc.. The jump in numbers has made me a bit nervous!

Thanks

Guest devomcd

Hi eJaya,

Are you an OOP applicant as well? I'm from Ontario so applying to Dal is a bit of a long shot for me, which is unfortunate because it's one of the schools I'm most interested in attending.

I am dying to know more about the applicant pool and particularly those from OOP. It's way too easy to get caught up trying to determine how competitive I am as an applicant! I know--- deep breaths, relax--- but it's so hard not to think about it!

If you are from Ontario, I just discovered (from an ad in the National Post) that Dalhousie will be holding info sessions December 2, 3, 4 and 5 in Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto and Hamilton, respectively. Maybe we'll be able to meet some fellow applicants there( ?). I'm not sure if it's aimed more at medical hopefuls etc. or undergrad hopefuls. Either way it should be interesting!

Also, thanks for keeping us informed on the applicant pool articaguy. It's nice to know someone on the other side!

Guest UWOMED2005

Applying to Dal might not be the longshot you think it is. I think a lot of OOP are discouraged from applying by the OOP quotas. I seem to remember hearing the year I graduated from Dalhousie that there was something like 70-80 OOP competing for the 8 spots they offered that year to OOP. I must admit I can't guarantee that information is true (it's based on 2nd hand info I heard two years ago), but if true, that's really not that bad. . . a ratio of 10:1 is actually quite similar to the number of applications Ontario schools get (which have in the past ranged from 10:1 for U of T to 30:1 for Mac/U of O.)

At the least, you applied so worse comes to worse at least you'll know if you have a shot. Good luck.

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey, this is macdaddyeh (I only applied to MAc this year so hence the name). I am also thinking of applying to Dal next year after I take the MCAT. My current gpa is 3.7 [borderline 3.8] so I'm hoping I have a chance at least in terms of GPA which I know is competitive. Where do you stand?

Also, I'm in the Toronto area and I'm wondering if you can tell me about the Toronto info session plz.

Take care and best wishes

Guest UWOMED2005

The Dal moderators would know better than me, but my memory is that if you're an OOP applying to Dal, you need 3.7 or higher (3.3 if you're from NB, PEI or NS) in each of your last two years to get an interview. Also keep in mind Dal uses a different system for calculating GPA. . . A+ gets a 4.3, an A a 4.0 with everything else the same. And I remember hearing a couple of rumours when I was at Dal back in 2000/01 that, like a lot of other schools, once you got an interview, it was the interview and not your GPA/MCAT which "sealed the deal."

Guest devomcd

Well,

I just got home from the Dal info session in Kingston and it seemed to be aimed more at high school hopefuls for undergrad. However, it was still useful to be able to ask some questions about Halifax and Dal in general. There was a slide show with a "virtual campus tour" which made for a nice little break from exams. One thing that really caught my eye is the new Dalplex facility---wow--- makes the Queen's PEC look like a medieval dungeon.

Like UWOMED2005 said, your Dal average will almost certainly be higher than your OMSAS average given their different calculation, so meeting that cutoff shouldn't be a problem. You'll also need 10, 10, 10 on each of the non-writing sections of the MCAT (or one 9 with a sum of 30 I think). So, good luck with that in April/ August.

About the two remaining info sessions:

Toronto- Wed. Dec. 4, 7-9pm

Centennial Room- The Inn on the Park

1100 Eglington Ave. East

Hamilton- Thurs. Dec. 5, 7-9pm

Centennial Room- Holiday Inn Express, Stony Creek

51 Keefer Court

Hey everyone. UWOMED2005 pretty much said it all:

GPA - 3.7 (on 4.3 scale)

MCAT - 10,10,10 (or no more than one 9 with a total of 30)

No prerequisites :)

But I believe that if you meet the cutoffs, it's really the interview that makes or breaks you. So make sure to apply if you meet the criteria. We are all quite smitten here at Dal, we love our school :) :) . We're trying to get an updated class webpage made before interview time so we can let everyone know what goes on here, typical day, social stuff.....we'll let you know when it's ready!

Guest arcticaguy

yeah, dal's in to heavy recruiting mode, esp. given ontario's situation this year (ie. the double graduating class).

about the web page, "my sources" tell me that it should be up in January at the latest.

btw. I'm not sure if you had an opportunity to take the 'virtual tour' of the medschool yet. It's on the main dal medicine page (http://www.medicine.dal.ca)

cheers.

Hey there!

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually not an OOP applicant. I'm from Sydney, NS but went to UWO for my undergrad and now am in grad school at the UofT. I would be interested in OOP applicant stats though because I am thinking of applying to schools on the west coast if I am not accepted at Dal or in Ontario this year. I REALLY want to go to Dal over any other school because of it's curriculum, and location. It would be great to live on the east coast for a while again. In anycase, write me when you get a chance and tell me about yourself.

MJM

Archived