Premed 101 Forums

Record of admitted GPA's

Guest Endooo

Guest Endooo

Hey,

Just wondering if there's anywhere I can get my hands on the GPA's of people admitted to Dal U. for the last say...... 3 years? Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a bit confused with that chart...

If everyone's ranting about how high Ottawa's admission GPAs are, then why does it say that the entrance average is only 80%? I mean, I can understand that grad students would lower the average, but my assumption for Ottawa is that it's predominantly NON-grad applicants.. Meaning, from my presumption, that the average average would be around 82-83%, or approx. a 3.70 GPA. (I personally have 83.3 and only a 3.57 GPA.. and my marks don't vary THAT greatly).

• 8 months later...
Guest OneBadSkwerl

Liz - I'm in the same boat as you, my marks are consistently between 81-84% but I have the odd one above and below that range but my GPA is 3.57. I wish they went on %'s and not GPA's. The fact a 79 and an 80 are almost identical, it's just like getting 1 wrong answer on one test in the year but it works out to a drop of ~.4 on the GPA scale, OUCH!!

Scotty :)

• 4 months later...
Guest UWOMED2005

I think they use the same system Dal uses for most (but not all) of its undergrad courses, which is a bit different from the OMSAS scale:

90%+ = A+ = 4.3

85-89% = A = 4.0

80-84% = A- = 3.7

75-79% = B+ = 3.3

70-74% = B = 3.0

65-69% = B- = 2.7

I can't remember the conversions for marks less than that, but 50% was usually a pass and the C and D marks were compressed between 50 and 65.

My memory was that "in-province" (ie applicants from NS, PEI and NB) needed a 3.3 GPA in each of their last two FULL-TIME years to get an interview, while out of province needed at least a 3.7 GPA in each of those last two years. My friends who were interviewed in 4th year thought most people who made the cutoffs were interviewed.

Keep in mind it's been a year and a half since I've been on the east coast (did my undergrad at Dal/King's), so things might have changed or my memory on such details might be fading. . .

Guest devomcd

All I can say is that Dal's scale rocks!

It brings my GPA up from 3.67 (OMSAS) to 3.74 (Dal). Since I make both the GPA and MCAT cutoffs hopefully I'll get an interivew. Are these the only factors they consider in granting interviews to OOP students?

Thanks so much for the info.

So you're a rugby player? So am I (I play for Queen's and Kingston in the summer). Do you know a guy with initials AG? I played with him this summer (he used to play for King's).

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah! I totally know AG. He was the captain of the King's team when I was a frosh - last I saw him he was taking off to teach english in the somewhere in the South Pacific (Mariana islands?) Hmm. . . I wonder if he'd remember me, considering I was just a rookie in his last year.

I had heard that AG was back in Kingston playing for KRFC through MF, a guy in my class who played for Queen's and still plays for Kingston RFC. You'd probably know MF as well. . . he's played for KRFC for years, and was the first team scrum-half for Queen's just a couple of years ago. And you'd probably also know MH (aka "Cranker") as well. . . I think he played for Kingston a couple of summers ago. MF mentioned he played for KRFC too. What a small world.

Did you apply to UWO? With that GPA you should have a solid shot. . . and it would be nice to get a couple of extra meds on the Ivey/meds team - turns out not too many of the 2006s are rugby players.

Guest devomcd

I didn't make the connection that MF is in your class! Funny you should mention him- I actually used him as a verifier on my OMSAS app. for a job I used to have in K-town.

I would have loved to apply to UWO but unfortunately my MCAT scores were 33,O so I didn't make the writing sample cut (damn!).

Guest UWOMED2005

You used MF as a verifier, eh? Small world.

Too bad you didn't apply to UWO. It's a little bit late, but you really should have applied anyways - the cutoffs fluctuate year to year, and depending on your score breakdown, that might have been good enough for our year. . . who knows what'll happen this year.

Good luck with the other schools anyways!

Archived