Premed 101 Forums

Class Size + Waitlist Movement

I understand that, and im not discrediting kingston, but just relaying the fact that most of these people are young people that want to live/experience the big cities + many of them are originally from toronto. Since the quality of med school education is pretty much equivalent throughout ontario/canada, much of the deciding factor i think comes down just to city preference/lifestyle

agreed

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Has Queen's ever sent out any waitlist offers before the 2 weeks (post-original offers) are up? 

It's more rare, but has happened in the past. Schools, not just queen's, who have a 'large' quantity of rejections before the 2 week mark will invite people early. This is to try and catch students before they accept another school.

I do have one final question regarding Queen's....do they send out admissions bursaries with the (hypothetical) offers? And does this include offers off the waitlist?

Or are the applicants notified only once the class has been finalized?

Thank you :)

I do have one final question regarding Queen's....do they send out admissions bursaries with the (hypothetical) offers? And does this include offers off the waitlist?

Or are the applicants notified only once the class has been finalized?

Thank you :)

I believe the bursaries are decided external from the faculty of med. So I'd imagine the timelines wouldn't be related.

New rules require grad degree completion months in advance. Makes my life appreciably more challenging.

technically you always had to complete your degree prior to for sure - on paper it was June 30 although there was some wiggle room.

Are you guys saying that things have gotten stricter? Has the wiggle room gone away?

I believe the bursaries are decided external from the faculty of med. So I'd imagine the timelines wouldn't be related.

Thanks, just wondering because UotT does send them with the offers, so you are aware if it influences your decision. Seems like it's just them that does that though!

Thanks, just wondering because UotT does send them with the offers, so you are aware if it influences your decision. Seems like it's just them that does that though!

Quick question - do you know what happens if you are waitlisted? Do you get notified about the scholarship at the same time? I can see how that can complicate things

Quick question - do you know what happens if you are waitlisted? Do you get notified about the scholarship at the same time? I can see how that can complicate things

Yeah, that was my original question as well! Hopefully someone can answer this :)

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/graduate_students

They state here that you need to complete your graduate degree requirements by August 1st before you enter medical school in September. Still a good amount of time to get your grad studies sorted out. 

Edit: it looks like Queens and Mac are pretty lenient. Queen's website, and Mac's info in the OMSAS PDF make no mention of a June 30th deadline, so it looks like thats just U of T and Western (out of the 4 I've looked into)

Oh thats cool! I guess Queen's is the only one to extend that late. , and Mac say June 30th. Western says its a new policy this year, but wasn't it always that way? Do you think that means they're getting stricter?

Oh thats cool! I guess Queen's is the only one to extend that late. U of T, Western, and Mac say June 30th. Western says its a new policy this year, but wasn't it always that way? Do you think that means they're getting stricter?

Quite frankly I don't know. Most of my Intel is second hand. I intend to try to negotiate for an extra day or two tbh. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to be peachy for August 1st but questionable for June 30th.

Hey, did you happen to find out that answer?

Cheers!

Not yet, I emailed at the beginning of last week but oddly no word yet. 

I am able to see the status of my application (in progress) for the bursary on the solus portal page after a bit of digging around. It's somewhere under the finances stuff it has a link about award status or something.

So maybe it will update on May 10th? 

If we get in off the waitlist at Queens, how long will we have to accept it? Also do the waitlist offers only go out after that May 27th (or what ever the deadline is to accept offers for people who initially get in) or will the waitlist offers go out as soon as the spots open up (ie if someone declines on may 15th and a spot opens)? I'm going to be travelling this month so it would be good to know! 

If we get in off the waitlist at Queens, how long will we have to accept it? Also do the waitlist offers only go out after that May 27th (or what ever the deadline is to accept offers for people who initially get in) or will the waitlist offers go out as soon as the spots open up (ie if someone declines on may 15th and a spot opens)? I'm going to be travelling this month so it would be good to know! 

Normally once you get off the waitlist you have a week to answer (but this depends on the school and when in the summer you hear, i.e., if you hear back end of July you'll have only a few days). 

In the past some offers have been made before the May 27th deadline, but generally only the a few people. The reason most offers don't go out until after May 27th is because all schools overinvite and there's a bit of a lag between OMSAS telling the schools who rejected/accepted.

Normally once you get off the waitlist you have a week to answer (but this depends on the school and when in the summer you hear, i.e., if you hear back end of July you'll have only a few days). 

In the past some offers have been made before the May 27th deadline, but generally only the a few people. The reason most offers don't go out until after May 27th is because all schools overinvite and there's a bit of a lag between OMSAS telling the schools who rejected/accepted.

They send more offers than seats available? 

Archived