Premed 101 Forums

My Gpa Repair So Far - Any Further Suggestions?

Year 1: 2.0

Year 2: 3.0

Year 3: 3.95

Year 4: 4.0

Year 5: 3.98

My MCAT and Non-academics are fine - GPA is the main concern with my entire application. Any further suggestions on improvement?

Would I be better off with USMD/USDO?

How many schools in Canada would I be competitive for ONLY considering GPA requirements?

Thank you

My MCAT and Non-academics are fine - GPA is the main concern with my entire application. Any further suggestions on improvement?

How many schools in Canada would I be competitive for ONLY considering GPA requirements?

Thank you

Western, Queens, Ottawa 

At Ottawa only your last 3 years are counted so you will have a very outstanding GPA and it is weighted towards your last year so somewhere around a 3.98 or 3.99. 

Western takes your best 2 years and Queens last 2 years and you will do very good there. 

https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/academic_policies/admission/after3years_MD.pdf for Western 

I wouldn't even consider US at this point. 

Western, Queens, Ottawa 

At Ottawa only your last 3 years are counted so you will have a very outstanding GPA and it is weighted towards your last year so somewhere around a 3.98 or 3.99. 

Western takes your best 2 years and Queens last 2 years and you will do very good there. 

https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/academic_policies/admission/after3years_MD.pdf for Western 

I wouldn't even consider US at this point. 

Appreciate the post, so are those schools all I have a decent shot at? Wouldn't it be reasonable to apply USMD/USDO as well as Western/Queens/Ottawa to include other options as well as reasonable back ups (USDO), for AMCAS I have a 2.6, 3.2, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0

Appreciate the post, so are those schools all I have a decent shot at? Wouldn't it be reasonable to apply USMD/USDO as well as Western/Queens/Ottawa to include other options as well as reasonable back ups (USDO), for AMCAS I have a 2.6, 3.2, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0

Yeah, I think its definitely reasonable to apply broadly. I take what I said back earlier about not considering the US. I would fully consider the US and apply. I meant it more in the way of you really have a good chance here in Canada esp because your weighted GPA is going to be very high at these schools. 

Yeah, I think its definitely reasonable to apply broadly. I take what I said back earlier about not considering the US. I would fully consider the US and apply. I meant it more in the way of you really have a good chance here in Canada esp because your weighted GPA is going to be very high at these schools. 

Would you recommend a sixth year maybe? as applications are going on.

Also, after all said and done, do I still have a chance at M.D. admissions? a reasonable chance? (sorry I need something to make me feel a bit better)

Thank you

Look at how different schools will calculate an adjusted GPA - it may be favourable for your circumstances:

For example, here is how UofT does it: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/gpa-and-gpa-weighting

Archived