Premed 101 Forums

Phd During Fm Residency?

I asked in another forum about doing a PhD during med school, and the resounding answer was that it's better to wait until residency. Can you still do one if you're doing a Family Med residency? I'm just wondering how it would be structured since it just sort of feels like other residencies have more space for it due to the number of years you're already doing it.

I'm also wondering in general how someone goes about setting up PhD or Master's work during a residency.. would you wait until after you got accepted and then make a proposal? How likely is it that you'll be able to actually do it if you're interested?

Thanks!

I asked in another forum about doing a PhD during med school, and the resounding answer was that it's better to wait until residency. 

Just a little comment on that. If early is after undergrad and late is during residency, this is the general trend (read: not always absolutely true):

-earlier PhD = more classical research training, but likely less relevant to the specialty you end up in

-later PhD = less classical research training, but likely directly relevant to your speciality

So when to do it depends on whether you value classical (hard core?) research training, or relevancy. That being said, those are trends and there are people who manage to get both, or neither.

• 2 weeks later...

They have clinical investigator programs at most schools, I would look into those.

Really? What were their arguments?

Most likely to be in a topic that is directly related to your medical practice, and better pay (resident's salary instead of grad student stipend).

They have clinical investigator programs at most schools, I would look into those.

Most likely to be in a topic that is directly related to your medical practice, and better pay (resident's salary instead of grad student stipend).

exactly - plus better access to clinical data, grant opportunities.....

Archived