Premed 101 Forums

2016 Waitlist Support Thread

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep telling people that I haven't found out yet, because I don't want to take the time and explain what it means to be on a waitlist haha. Apparently it's a foreign concept to a lot of people?

Haha I'm definitely in the same boat. Good luck to all waitlisters, and hopefully there's a lot of movement (I know 3 friends who are accepting UofC over UofA, should be interesting to see how much the waitlist moves!).

Here are my thoughts on the Albertan med schools from my interview day experiences:

U of C

-strongest sense of community of all the schools I've interviewed at

-really laid-back, relaxed, cooperative vibe

-great communicators here

-admin/faculty were pretty chill

-neat anatomy lab

U of A

-awesome campus

-pretty good sense of community

-admin/faculty appear pretty passionate about teaching/research

-Katz building is awesome

-pedways!!

Edmonton I think has better transit from what I've heard...but it's also colder than Calgary.

Both schools are awesome.

What are everyone else's thoughts on U of C and U of A?

Here are my thoughts on the Albertan med schools from my interview day experiences:

U of C

-strongest sense of community of all the schools I've interviewed at

-really laid-back, relaxed, cooperative vibe

-great communicators here

-admin/faculty were pretty chill

-neat anatomy lab

U of A

-awesome campus

-pretty good sense of community

-admin/faculty appear pretty passionate about teaching/research

-Katz building is awesome

-pedways!!

Edmonton I think has better transit from what I've heard...but it's also colder than Calgary.

Both schools are awesome.

What are everyone else's thoughts on U of C and U of A?

UA

-4 Years, meaning summers (vacation/research), and more time to think about what you want for specialities 

-Academic school (tons of exams/evaluations) <-- some people love this, others hate it 

-Younger group, most fresh out of undergrad

UC

-3 Years, meaning you finish sooner and knowledge is always fresh since you don't take long periods of break

-Very clinically focused 

-Older group, more mature/non-trad students. Higher average age than UA

Any idea what the size of the waitlist is for in province with degree ?

Someone last year said that the response from the office was something to the effect of "in proportion to the size of the admitted pool." So 4 Year Alberta pool probably has a bigger waitlist, whereas 2/3 Year non Albertan has probably a tiny waitlist.

Does anyone know till when the UofA waitlist actually moves? (June, July, Aug?) Also, within what week/month is the movement the greatest?

Based on last year's thread, it looks like most waitlist movement was on May 27, May 29, and June 2. So for this year's cycle those dates would be May 25, May 27, and May 30? This is complete speculation.

Is the waitlist essencially a delayed rejection or is there actually a chance ?

I told myself that if I got on the waitlist I would take it as a rejection to ease the process/wait. In reality no one will really know until the results come out. 

Archived