Premed 101 Forums

I Just Finished 1St Year Dental School At U Of T. Ama

Hey guys,

I just finished my first year of dental school at U of T. If you guys have any questions regarding dental school in general, or more specifically, U of T's dental program, I would be more than happy to answer them here (or you can pm me).

Thanks!

What was your experience like? Was the faculty friendly / helpful? How is the course structure? How much exposure to clinical experience did you receive? Thanks :^)

Thanks so much for doing an AMA!

1) What would you recommend for students who will be starting in the fall? Anything to look into over the summer? Books to read/prep? 

2) Would you recommend buying instruments etc. second hand, or just stick with whatever is planned for orientation? Is there any kind of insurance for them?

3) If you were to go back to this time last year, what do you wish you would have known?

4) What were some of your favourite things about first year? And is there anything you would do differently/anything you would change?

5) I don't know if this is something you would know, but do you know how many kids graduating out of U of T end up buying up a practice?

6) What do dental students typically get up to in the summer?

7) Also, what does 2T0 stand for? I have gathered that it represents the class of 2020, I just don't really understand how the nomenclature works

Thanks for offering to answer our questions uoftdentalstudent! :)

I'm thinking of commuting to u of t from Markham via go train. What are the typical class times? Is it consistently 8 to 5 everyday? And how doable is the 1 hour long one way commute everyday?

And is it true that u of t is still teaching students amalgam fillings?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for doing an AMA!

1) What would you recommend for students who will be starting in the fall? Anything to look into over the summer? Books to read/prep? 

2) Would you recommend buying instruments etc. second hand, or just stick with whatever is planned for orientation? Is there any kind of insurance for them?

3) If you were to go back to this time last year, what do you wish you would have known?

4) What were some of your favourite things about first year? And is there anything you would do differently/anything you would change?

5) I don't know if this is something you would know, but do you know how many kids graduating out of U of T end up buying up a practice?

6) What do dental students typically get up to in the summer?

7) Also, what does 2T0 stand for? I have gathered that it represents the class of 2020, I just don't really understand how the nomenclature works

1) Honestly, I would just suggest relaxing and enjoying your summer! There will be plenty of time to study and do well during the school year itself. 

2) I believe most of the instruments you buy with your tuition are given to you during one of the lab orientation sessions. I would just recommend sticking with them. I believe there is a warranty for the drills you buy, throughout the 4 years you are here. Not sure about the insurance...

3) I wish I would have known how quickly dental school flies. Make sure to study, but also make sure to have fun!

4) My favourite thing about first year is definitely meeting my classmates. They are super hardworking, and also fun to hang out with! If I were to do things differently, I would learn to manage my time better and not stress too much over little details.

5) Sorry, I do not know about this 

6) There is a mix. Some do research, some travel, some just chill and relax, some do all of the above. 

7) To be honest, I never really understood how that works either lol

Thanks for offering to answer our questions uoftdentalstudent! :)

I'm thinking of commuting to u of t from Markham via go train. What are the typical class times? Is it consistently 8 to 5 everyday? And how doable is the 1 hour long one way commute everyday?

And is it true that u of t is still teaching students amalgam fillings?

Thanks!

There is a variation. Sometimes, classes will indeed start at 8 am, and go all the way through till 4-5 pm. Starting in second semester, you will be given the option to attend extra, evening resto sessions to brush up on your clinical skills in terms of doing cavity preps and fillings. If I remember correctly, these run on Tuesdays and Thursday, and sometimes you will be at school from 8 am to 7 pm (but it is optional, but highly recommended). There are a few days in our schedules where we don't start until 9 am or 10 am. Also, there are certain days where you will have clinical rotations assisting upper years. These days alternate, so one week, you can sleep in and start later (around 12pm if I remember correctly), rather than earlier. In first semester, I also remember some Fridays where you end earlier, around 2-3pm. 

If you can manage it, I think the 1 hour commute is doable. I know certain classmates and upper years who commute around the same amount as you. I also know classmates who decided to move closer to campus after a while, since commuting may have been too tiring. As such, I recommend you try it out, and decide if you want to move closer or continue commuting. I remember commuting for undergrad, which took me 45 minutes one way, and although some days I was tired, it was a good time to read or catch up on lectures. 

What you hear is true. We start out with learning about the principles of amalgam fillings, before moving onto composites. 

whats your biggest complain? lol

My biggest complaint would be that there is no standardized way of testing students when it comes to practical things like restorative, or prosthodontics. What one instructor thinks is good, another might think it is not. This is expected, since dentistry involves some subjectivity. However, I wish there was a way to make grading more fair. 

What was your experience like? Was the faculty friendly / helpful? How is the course structure? How much exposure to clinical experience did you receive? Thanks :^)

My experience overall was positive, but it was mixed in with some stressful times as well. 

The faculty for the most part are friendly and helpful, while others leave you wanting for more. 

The course structure changes by semesters. In first semester, you take histology, gross anatomy, microbiology, biomaterials, CCP, preventive dentistry, In 2nd semester, you take more practical courses like prosthodontics, restorative, alongside gross anatomy, and microbio. (there may be a few others i'm forgetting, I apologize for that)

In first year, you get to practice some minor clinical skills on each other, such as probing, exploring, polishing and fluoride application. You also get a chance to assist upper years in various procedures ranging from extractions, to a simple drill and fill. You also get to work on a simulated patient, learning how to do basic preps and fills, alongside making a complete denture.  

Wow thanks for doing this!

What's the difference between people wearing blue uniform and people wearing green uniform?

Also, I heard that there's a lineup in one of the labs to use some tools? Is this true and how bad is the lineup? Asking this because it reminds me of my chemistry lab nightmares :-(

Wow thanks for doing this!

What's the difference between people wearing blue uniform and people wearing green uniform?

Also, I heard that there's a lineup in one of the labs to use some tools? Is this true and how bad is the lineup? Asking this because it reminds me of my chemistry lab nightmares :-(

It's funny because we just changed scrub colours this year, so you'll see a mix of people in lighter green scrubs, and others that decided to keep their old scrubs, which were a darker green. Anyhow, those in light/dark green are dental students ranging from year 1 to 4. The people in the dark blue scrubs are those in specialty programs if I'm not mistaken. 

There are indeed lineups to use tools such as the trimmer machine (a machine you use to trim stone models) and the fumehood for curing our custom trays. However, everyone will end up getting a chance to use them, and if not, there will be accommodations such as an extended lab session.

The wait times for restorative sessions are pretty much nonexistent, since every row has adequate supplies. However, you will have to wait fro your instructor to come and check your work  :P

Hey! Appreciate you reaching out like this! I was wondering what your living situation and that of your classmates is like?

1) Do you have a roommate or roommates?

2) What are your living expenses like? Rent, public transit, etc.

3) Any particular areas where a lot of dental/med students seem to live?

4) Can you recommend any sites that helped you find a place to rent?

Thanks

This is my question as well. Do you recommend "shopping around" or do most banks offer similar things. I'm kind of lazy to meet with 5 or more different banks/advisors

I think people on this forum generally recommends either Scotia or RBC. I went with RBC since I bank with them already and they process my student loans as well. The advisor applied for 275k (max amount) for me but guarantees at least 250k in case the back office doesn't approve that mucb so I'm pretty happy.

Hey! Appreciate you reaching out like this! I was wondering what your living situation and that of your classmates is like?

1) Do you have a roommate or roommates?

2) What are your living expenses like? Rent, public transit, etc.

3) Any particular areas where a lot of dental/med students seem to live?

4) Can you recommend any sites that helped you find a place to rent?

Thanks

I lived off campus in a condo rental.

1) I did not have any roommates

2) I pay about 1300 + other expenses like utilities. I mostly walked to school, so I did not have much transportation expenses

3) People live in a variety of places. A lot of dental students live close to the school. There is one condo unit called Motion, which a lot of students live in. Some students also live in the U of T grad residences. 

4) I mostly used kijiji, and padmapper to find a place!

How are you paying for dental school?

Which bank do you recommend for an LOC?

I'm paying for dental school through a variety of means, such as an LOC, OSAP and some parental support. 

I have an LOC with RBC, but you should shop around to see whether you click/connect with a certain advisor. It seems that most banks offer very similar packages these days, so what is important is that you find an advisor that is helpful and someone you connect with. 

This is my question as well. Do you recommend "shopping around" or do most banks offer similar things. I'm kind of lazy to meet with 5 or more different banks/advisors

When I got in, I only shopped around at RBC, Scotiabank and CIBC. I know some students went to pretty much every financial institution, but I don't think that is necessary. In fact, most students end up either going with Scotiabank or RBC. The only major difference if I remember correctly is that Scotiabank places a limit towards how much you can spend each year, while RBC allows you to spend the whole 275k in one year if you want to. However, this was last year and the policies may have changed, so you should do your research and shop around to see which advisor offers the best service. 

Archived