Premed 101 Forums

Undergraduate Honours Project?

Hi everyone,

I am currently deciding whether or not to do an honours research project for my undergrad in human kinetics.

Just wondering if anybody has any insight into if a project like this is taken into consideration in the application process for PT or OT? Just trying to weigh the pros/cons of such a time commitment.

Which university are you at?  I just finished my fourth year in HK at OttawaU and I could choose between an internship or a research project.  I picked the internship because it allowed me to get 100 hours of experience in a physio clinic which I found would look better on an application.  

When applying for PT/OT, universities take your volunteer/work experience into account.  So you would definitely be able to put down that you've done a research project and it would strengthen your application.

However, I personally feel that experience working with a PT or an OT is really important to have.  If you've already spent time in a clinic/hospital setting, then a research project is a great way to diversify your resume and would be worth the extra effort.  But if you're lacking experience with a PT/OT, then maybe you're better off spending your time trying to find a placement somewhere.  

What interests you more - the research project or another option? Research is important to have as an EC, largely since PT and OT are evidence-based professions, but I wouldn't do a year-long project unless it's something you really want to do. Consider your other options and pick what you'll enjoy.

If you want some research experience you could always volunteer in a lab, or maybe there's a class offered where you spend time in a lab but don't complete a full project. For example, in my undergrad program students could do a research practicum, an honours research project, or neither.

If you are to do research, especially as a course, I would recommend looking up the labs at your university and their recent publications. Find a lab that's studying something that interests you. See if you can volunteer there first to see if the lab will be a good fit.

It will also help for interviews if you're passionate about your ECs, and that interviewers can see that you love what you do. You don't want to come across as someone who only did research so it would look good on their application - not saying you are, but there are some people that do this!

Keep in mind that research experience and clinical/hospital experiences can be found outside of school  :)

I was in a similar situation, I already had a few hundred hours volunteering in PT clinics so I decided to do research in a field I was fairly interested in to diversify my resume. I am sure it helped me as I did get accepted to PT school this year.

But, I warn you it is not easy. I had friends who did internship and they breezed through it. Everyone who did the research project had their fair share of suffering  :lol:

Then again, I have no words to describe how good it feels to complete a research project.

In addition, everyone I know who did research did get accepted somewhere for PT. 

Archived