Premed 101 Forums

What Did You Wish Someone Told You Before Starting Dental School?

Saw this on the medical thread and found responses very interesting. Curious to see what dentistry students have to say! :)

"Title says it all. What would you want to tell your pre-first year self if you had the chance? Little things, finance things, match/employment related things, whatever it is."

I'd say:

Sleep as much as you can over the summer and relax

Watch how many Starbucks runs you do during the day while at school - those really add up

Find a mentor and don't be afraid to ask for help

(Speaking of help - there's a lot of practical help that can be found on YouTube of all places)

Know your pathology really well

Make time to relax, hang out with friends, watch a movie a couple of times during the week - these little breaks go a long way

Choose a time over the week to do your own lab work/ practice pre-clinical work and practice practice practice!

Don't let lab work pile up

Save your preps, restorations, temporary crowns, etc that you do on your own time and ask for feedback

Don't just stick to what the manual says - there are several ways to skin a cat! Experiment! (That's what pre-clinical lab is for - see what works for you and what doesn't)

And I can't think of anymore of the top of my head, but if you have any particular questions just ask

-how grey dentistry really is: treatment planning is so different across the board and there is no right answer a lot of the time

-how F'ing hard it is to make a denture that actually fits

-cherish the time in clinic because that's all your gonna get before you get thrown into the real world

plus what BScDMD said

-how grey dentistry really is: treatment planning is so different across the board and there is no right answer a lot of the time

-how F'ing hard it is to make a denture that actually fits

-cherish the time in clinic because that's all your gonna get before you get thrown into the real world

plus what BScDMD said

I Laughed after I saw this.  And even when you are done, likely you will send it out to someone to do it.

Play hard, study hard, 

Take a step back, take a deep breath and enjoy the 4 years

Make friends, these friendship will last a lifetime.

You will have bad days in sim and clinic, it is not the end of the world, unless you are lazy and gross negligence you will graduate.

Even in real life practice bad days occur.. Trust me.  Learn how to do a proper consent and chart, it will save your arse.

Archived