Premed 101 Forums

Chances For Ot/pt For A New Direction

Hello everyone :)

I've recently changed career prospects from psychology to OT/PT (want something more hands-on) and will try applying this cycle. I've graduated with a BA in psych and will be studying biology this year as a grade-booster and back-up option. I've read around and am having difficulty finding admissions stats, so I'm wondering if you could provide insight on my chances:

cGPA: 3.64

Sub GPA: 3.71

^ includes 1 bad grade from way back, but will be replaced by my next semester's grades, which are expected to be in the A range (typical grades for me). I spent the first half of my degree very sick and the rest of it working 2 jobs, but this year I am healthy and able to focus on school while only working weekends.

Also have years of volunteering for various mental health charities, including as an outreach educator for an eating disorder center and as an executive of a brain health outreach club. A year (and going) at an animal shelter. 1.5 years research assisting experience. Will be shadowing/assisting physiotherapists for the rest of the summer and hopefully into the school year.

Can anybody provide some insight? I'm interested mainly in Ontario schools and am pretty poor, so if I have no chance at PT this year I'd like to know before I dish out application fees. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me!

from what I have seen so far. You have a really good chance at OT for all ontario schools and with all your work experience you have a good chance for PT at queens as well. Bringing up your sGPA to about 3.8 would further make you competitive for PT in Ontario schools! 

Read past threads to see what statistics were accepted/rejected/waitlisted this past cycle. It's not the best indicator of course, as things change each year and those who post aren't necessarily reflective of the applicant population, but it does give you an idea of applicant stats. Many schools post their grade cut-offs online as well.

Do you know which career you prefer? If they were both equally as difficult to gain acceptance, which would you want? If you were only accepted to your second choice program, would you go? Or would you wait another year to apply again? I realize this isn't exactly your question, but I just wanted to bring it up. You're already making the career switch from psych to rehab science, so pick the one that you'll enjoy for the next 25+ years  :)

Archived