Premed 101 Forums

Important Decision To Make- I Need Advice

If I were you, I would definitely put applications behind me, accept JCU and happily go to Australia for my dental degree. There is no guarantee that you will ever be accepted at UBC. Delay might result in never being accepted anywhere again. It is a risk that I would never consider.

Each step in life is a new experience - if you are set for dentistry as the path you are willing to invest your passion upon for the next 10 years, Australia and that extra year of doing what you presumably will like to be doing (ie. dentistry) is the way to go IMO. Unless you are very confident that in the next accepting cycle you will get into UBC or UofT, I wouldn't think twice and accept that offer to start the journey.

Debt, more costs, and that extra year of time commitment may seem paramount to your decision now, but I am willing to bet you'll be more than glad about your choice 5 years down the line - provided you continue to enjoy doing dentistry.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi friends, I am seeking sincere advice from you.

I recently graduated with BSc. from UBC, and submitted my dental school application for Australian school during May.

However, the school I wanted to get in has always been UBC, and I was going to re-take my Canadian DAT this upcoming Nov and apply to UBC Dental as well.

Recently though, I got an offer of Admission from JCU (James Cook University) in Australia which came as a surprise because I thought I did not get in and was preparing for Nov DAT to apply to UBC.

I applied to Aus University knowing that there is the reciprocal agreement between Canadian and Australian universities-meaning that dental graduates from both countries can easily practice in either countries without sitting in any additional exams.

If I accept the offer, I will be starting my BDS(Bachelor of Dental Surgery)program of 5 years at the Aus Uni next January, whereas if I reject the offer, I will have to pray that I get into UBC for one or more years without any promise. The tuition at the Aus Uni is also not much more expensive than UBC.

Program-wise, JCU offers 3 years of clinical experience which is a huge plus compared to UBC I think, but UBC is much closer to home and is better known I guess. I heard that where I graduated from does not matter once I get licensed and that BDS=DDS=DMD in Canada, and my dentist mentor suggests me to just start at a school as quickly as possible.

As thankful as I am to be given this opportunity, it just feels weird for me to decide to go to Aus without even having a chance to try for UBC once (*my current stat is just avg as an applicant for UBC which is the reason why I was planning to re-write my DAT). 

I know that I will have to make the choice in the end, but what do you advise? What would you do if you were me? 

I went to their website and for the prerequisites for the dental program and I saw this: 

Applicants must meet the course prerequisites prior to submitting their application:

Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science

Successful completion at Year 12 level of all of the following:

• English
  • Maths B
  • Chemistry

Does that mean I could've started dental school after grade 12  :confused:

I went to their website and for the prerequisites for the dental program and I saw this: 

Applicants must meet the course prerequisites prior to submitting their application:

• English
  • Maths B
  • Chemistry

Yes, in AUS and a lot of other european schools they take students straight from high school and they do a 5-8 (i think) year program, but some schools have started to switch to the US/Canada model 

• English
  • Maths B
  • Chemistry

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't some schools in Quebec allow you to apply after grade 12?

No, they allow you to apply after CEGEP, but that's a higher education level than high school. It's essentially a college. 

Yup, the equivalent of applying after CEGEP for students in other provinces and in the US would be applying after the first year of university.

Yea, and the available spots for OOP applicants is close to 0, whereas AUS schools are far easier to get into. 

Lol even the available sports for IP applicants coming out of CEGEP is close to 0... They only accept 10 applicants into the dent-p program at McGill.

Archived