Premed 101 Forums

Abs Essay Question

Hey everyone,

Just wondering which approach is better for the ABS brief essays:

Ex.

1. ABS Item 1 - Advocate Cluster, Communicator/Collaborator/Manager Cluster - Club Executive [5]

So essentially I am stating which of the clusters I am demonstrating with my role as a Club Executive, along with the verifier in brackets. Then proceeding to describe my role and how I exemplified the clusters mentioned

2.  Simply introduce my role and the clusters in a brief paragraph and explain how I exemplified these qualities.

For reading purposes I feel like Option #1 shows the evaluator what clusters I will be talking about, my activity and the verifier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Just wondering which approach is better for the ABS brief essays:

Ex.

1. ABS Item 1 - Advocate Cluster, Communicator/Collaborator/Manager Cluster - Club Executive [5]

So essentially I am stating which of the clusters I am demonstrating with my role as a Club Executive, along with the verifier in brackets. Then proceeding to describe my role and how I exemplified the clusters mentioned

2.  Simply introduce my role and the clusters in a brief paragraph and explain how I exemplified these qualities.

For reading purposes I feel like Option #1 shows the evaluator what clusters I will be talking about, my activity and the verifier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think option 2 sounds better...try to be as specific as possible, and "show" rather than tell . i.e. "when planning activity x, I wanted to do a. The other club exec wanted to do b. By listening to his criticisms openly/patiently about my ideas, as well as clearly/constructively explaining my own criticisms about his ideas, we combined our approaches by doing z to obtain the best results as well as strengthen our relationship as co club-execs"

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I had a related question. My essays seem to flow better without specifically stating which clusters I'm trying to appeal to. Is this a bad idea? I'm basically letting UofT admissions draw their own conclusions from my descriptions of the activities instead of blatantly stating "I was an advocate in this position because of x y z reasons". Thoughts?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I had a related question. My essays seem to flow better without specifically stating which clusters I'm trying to appeal to. Is this a bad idea? I'm basically letting UofT admissions draw their own conclusions from my descriptions of the activities instead of blatantly stating "I was an advocate in this position because of x y z reasons". Thoughts?

Much better approach, in my opinion. Restating the clusters wastes characters and it looks more professional and mature to leave it for the reader to decide. The clusters are distinct enough, it should be clear regardless. Plus, you need to cover the 4 over 3 essays, which I've always thought was purposefully done to force people to be more subtle about it

Much better approach, in my opinion. Restating the clusters wastes characters and it looks more professional and mature to leave it for the reader to decide. The clusters are distinct enough, it should be clear regardless. Plus, you need to cover the 4 over 3 essays, which I've always thought was purposefully done to force people to be more subtle about it

Thanks, sunny! I'm glad to hear that hahaha

Yes I agree with the other poster. You should not need to state the clusters outright. They should be pretty obvious from what you have written. Alternatively, to the drive the point home, you could state them in your concluding sentence  i.e. Finally, through planning X as a club exec, I was able to learn Y, which contributed to improving my advocacy skills by...

Yes I agree with the other poster. You should not need to state the clusters outright. They should be pretty obvious from what you have written. Alternatively, to the drive the point home, you could state them in your concluding sentence  i.e. Finally, through planning X as a club exec, I was able to learn Y, which contributed to improving my advocacy skills by...

True ok, thanks for the input. The reason why I asked is because I know it is typically 2nd year MD students reading these. So I was worried that if I didn't make things apparent to them, they might just be reading these super fast and miss those subtle details. This puts me at ease though!

The reason why I was thinking about the above comes from advice I received from a friend who told me to be explicit as possible in these essays.

Thanks everyone!

Archived