Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who is currently in McMaster for their MD/PhD (or have close friends/peers in the program) could give overview of the program. I have googled and searched on this forum, and the only post I could find was one from 06 (or possible 07) with no replies.

I know getting into MD anywhere in Canada is a challenge of its own, but I do take each school and program that I apply to with serious consideration. 

Here are the few key points I know so far about McMaster:

1. Pioneer and founders in Evidence Based Medicine: Dr's David Sackett, Gordon Guyatt, Brian Haynes and more...
  2. World-wide leaders in clinical research: Dr's P.J. Devereaux, Salim Yusuf, Mohit Bhandari, and so many other faculty members in Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
  3. Great cohesive environment and nurturing mentorship

Specific questions I have about the program:

1. How well structured is it? Do students find it disorganized and unprepared for the students' needs? I know it's still a fairly new program (started in '07)
  2. Where are the alumni's training now? Have most MD/PhD's tended to go into one specific speciality? Are they still continuing their initial goal to be clinician-investigators?
  3. I've noticed that on their website, all current students and alumni's focus their MD/PhD on basic science (benchmark) research. Are there current students in clinical research?

I know premed101 isn't the most reliable source of info, but I thought this would be a great starting point to getting the general consensus and possible guidance to more credible sources/contacts. 

Thank you for reading this ridiculously long post, I hope the structuring somewhat helped.

- BoopityBoop

I would email the MD/PhD program director with these questions - I'm sure they will be happy to answer them for you :)

Hi BlueSpirit,

Thank you for the suggestion! I e-mailed their admissions coordinator asking who the appropriate person would be in answering my questions.

- BoopityBoop

I think the majority of MD/PhD students take part in basic science research because clinical research could be more difficult if you have not had much clinical exposure. If you are interested in pursuing a clinical PhD, it may be best to wait until residency or your fellowship. You have more clinical expertise, a better understanding of your clinical interest and issues, and the pay is much much better.

Archived