Premed 101 Forums

Advice On Applying For Ontario Ot Schools - 2017 Start

Hey there,

I'm looking to apply to Ontario schools for Occupational Therapy for a start in September 2017. I am thinking of Western, McMaster, UofT, and Queens.

My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.84. I worked at a Physio clinic for 3 years where my boss (the PT) got me interested in OT. I have volunteered at schools and children's hospitals, and worked with children with Autism spectrum disorder doing art and mentoring. I took a year off after my undergrad and worked in a policy job related to the AODA (Ontario's accessibility act) to gain some knowledge about the context of disability in Ontario.

I am wondering if taking the time to work this policy contract will hurt my application at all? Its not directly OT related and I probably could have gone back to work at the clinic but it was a great opportunity for me. I guess what I am asking is how admissions judge your experiences, should they all be directly related to OT or can some experiences relate to the broader context of why one is interested in OT?

Within OT I think I would love geriatrics or working with developmental disabilities. I am also really interested in art if its possible to integrate that into OT practice.

Any feedback or advice is greatly, greatly appreciated! This forum has helped me so much since I've started reading it :)

Hi, I'm no expert but what I have learned so far is that Ontario OT schools want to know what skills you have gained to make you suitable for the profession of Occupational Therapy. In my opinion, learning about policy about disability is very relevant to OT. You have to explain in personal statement how your experiences have helped you gain skills and attributes that have prepared you for the study of Occupational Therapy.

Hi, I'm no expert but what I have learned so far is that Ontario OT schools want to know what skills you have gained to make you suitable for the profession of Occupational Therapy. In my opinion, learning about policy about disability is very relevant to OT. You have to explain in personal statement how your experiences have helped you gain skills and attributes that have prepared you for the study of Occupational Therapy.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I was kind of thinking about that with the personal statement and how to incorporate it.

Working in the policy contract shouldn't hurt your application at all. With your GPA and experience you have a good shot getting into OT. I am in PT and lots of students took a year off to work or do other things. In your personal statement or interviews just relate it to how it makes you better for the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Working in the policy contract should't hurt your application at all. With your GPA and experience you have a good shot getting into OT. I am in PT and lots of students took a year off to work or do other things. In your personal statement or interviews just relate it to how it makes you better for the program.

Thanks! That's reassuring. It's good to know lots of applicants take time off :)

Hey there,

I'm looking to apply to Ontario schools for Occupational Therapy for a start in September 2017. I am thinking of Western, McMaster, UofT, and Queens.

My cGPA is 3.63 and sGPA is 3.84. I worked at a Physio clinic for 3 years where my boss (the PT) got me interested in OT. I have volunteered at schools and children's hospitals, and worked with children with Autism spectrum disorder doing art and mentoring. I took a year off after my undergrad and worked in a policy job related to the AODA (Ontario's accessibility act) to gain some knowledge about the context of disability in Ontario.

I am wondering if taking the time to work this policy contract will hurt my application at all? Its not directly OT related and I probably could have gone back to work at the clinic but it was a great opportunity for me. I guess what I am asking is how admissions judge your experiences, should they all be directly related to OT or can some experiences relate to the broader context of why one is interested in OT?

Within OT I think I would love geriatrics or working with developmental disabilities. I am also really interested in art if its possible to integrate that into OT practice.

Any feedback or advice is greatly, greatly appreciated! This forum has helped me so much since I've started reading it :)

Your GPA is great and it sounds like you have very relevant experiences! I would not be worried about your policy experience, it could actually be a HUGE benefit if you can tie it into how you might apply it as an OT (e.g. advocate for OT in development of policies). As long as you can explain how the skills you have developed through your experiences could be useful in the OT setting you shouldn't have a problem getting in! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived