Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

8 minutes ago, PTWorld said:

Yes, Kathy called at 10:43 am today with an offer! Are you currently on the waitlist? If so, I hope you hear back shortly! :)

That is so exciting! I'm #7 on the waitlist at Mac and I'm full of nerves waiting to hear back. Glad to hear the waitlists are moving though!

Another question for you if you don't mind, did Western require the tuition deposit over the phone? Or do you have a few days before it's due?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OTPT2019 said:

That is so exciting! I'm #7 on the waitlist at Mac and I'm full of nerves waiting to hear back. Glad to hear the waitlists are moving though!

Another question for you if you don't mind, did Western require the tuition deposit over the phone? Or do you have a few days before it's due?

At #7 I'd be very surprised if you were not offered a spot. Rooting for you to get in! And I was accepted to Queen's with no details over the phone about a deposit (possibly will be discussed in future emails they send me).

1 hour ago, TibiaHonest said:

Got a call from Western this morning and I've been accepted off the waitlist! I was shocked they started calling so soon! But now I have to make the decision between Western and McMaster. 

I prefer the cachment area of McMaster but am terrified of the self directed leaning approach (I think it would be a shock to my system). I like the structure of Western program and the school spirit and community feel of the school/program. My gut tells me Western but I keep flip flopping 

If anyone else has had to make a similar decision I'd love to hear your thoughts on each school and what lead you to decide! I know there isn't a wrong decision but it's still such a tough one to make!

Hi, first off congrats! I went through the Western program, and didn't apply to Mac because like you I was scared of the problem based learning. First off I just want to say both schools are amazing schools, and will both get you certified and where you want to be as a PT. I'll go through PBL at Mac and catchment areas because that's what seems like what you're caught on. You are absolutely right about school spirit and the community feel at Western, that was something that I really enjoyed.

With problem based learning, I have heard from a friend that went to Mac that it really isn't anything to be terrified about and they thought highly of it. There's lots of support from profs and there's lots of meetings with classmates for discussion which she says led her class to be a really close knit community feel. Yes it takes a little time getting used to, but it definitely develops your problem solving skills in a way similar to what you would see in a clinic. You won't always get "textbook" patients as a practitioner and Mac's PBL helps prepare you for this. Personally, I really enjoyed the structure of Western's program and both learning strategies have their merits. 

If you're looking at catchment area, Mac has an edge over Western for sure. I'm not too sure of the details of Mac's catchment area but I know it is smaller than at Western and you have more access to public transport. We have a huge catchment area that spans basically all of SW Ontario (from Owen Sound to Kitchener to Windsor) and you will have to go outside the city for sure. It's a huge pain without a car and even with a car driving up to 4 hours a day is not fun. I know someone that moved out to Owen Sound for their placement but again, not ideal (moving costs are not fully funded by Western, so he had to go out of pocket for some of this too).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Western but I do kind of regret not being able to enjoy the school and friends more due to all the travelling. Would I have gone to Mac if I had the choice? It's tough to say knowing what I know now but I just might have. I picked Western because I did undergrad there and I was familiar with the surrondings. Good luck in your decision!

4 hours ago, PTWorld said:

At #7 I'd be very surprised if you were not offered a spot. Rooting for you to get in! And I was accepted to Queen's with no details over the phone about a deposit (possibly will be discussed in future emails they send me).

There is no deposit for Queens :) congrats on getting in!! 

Hey everyone, 

Just an update for those waiting on Queens OT! I received an offer today around 10am!!! I am over the moon, and this has always felt like my first choice school. I will likely accept the offer soon. From the email it looks like we have until June 9th to firm up, in the meantime I will see if I hear word from U of T, but most likely a spot on the waitlist will open up for others! Excited to meet my future health professionals! 

20 minutes ago, ExcitedPT said:

Congratulations!! Anyone know about PT waitlist at MAC

Didn't get an email from them, but I checked my ORPAS account and it says "Offer" with an expiry date. I also checked my Mosaic account, but it still says "pending". Not sure what this means ... I was #31 on the waitlist lol

I guess with all the movement that's happening before June 9, the schools won't bother sending out any additional info (other than the welcome package I already received) until after that... I firmly accepted queens on orpas and haven't heard anything since. Is that the norm for everyone else? 

3 minutes ago, ExcitedPT said:

Yes my ORPAS account for Mac now says offer with expiry June 9.  Weird no email and no phone call. Is this normal I'm not sure if that means I've been accepted there.

I received my email this morning but the official letter was blank. I spoke with the OT coordinator a couple of hours ago and they've been having IT issues. It may be helpful to contact the PT coordinator to see what's happening.

For anyone wondering about Mac PT waitlist movement -- check your ORPAS account. I've been offered a spot (i was #31 on the waitlist), but didn't get any email. I called Mac and spoke to Liz who said that if you have an "Offer" indicated on your ORPAS account, then you've been offered a spot off the waitlist. They're experiencing some technical issues with regards to notifying waitlisters via email, but she said it should be resolved soon with official emails out by end of today/early tomorrow. 

Good luck!!

On 5/19/2017 at 3:38 AM, Daniel1204 said:

Applied: Western, U OF T, Queens (All PT)

Accepted: Western

Waitlist: U OF T #3

Rejected: Queens

does anyone know how much the waitlist moved last year or the year before? 

got off the waitlist and will be accepting U OF T. A spot should open up for Western by tomorrow. good luck

3 hours ago, PTwinterlo said:

I guess with all the movement that's happening before June 9, the schools won't bother sending out any additional info (other than the welcome package I already received) until after that... I firmly accepted queens on orpas and haven't heard anything since. Is that the norm for everyone else? 

Yeah it was the same for me  

Archived