Premed 101 Forums

Ot/pt Accepted/waitlisted/rejected 2017

I also accepted my offer to Mac OT, is there a FB group yet? :)

If not, we should start one.

Hello both! I also accepted my Mac OT offer and am looking to see if there is a FB group. Let me know if there is! :)

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accepted my Queen's PT offer, for those wait listed at U of T/Western/Dalhousie the wait list will be moving!

I have accepted my offer to Queen's PT, so the waitlist should move for UofT and Western!

Just so everyone knows, this isn't how waitlist works exactly. If one person rejects their acceptance, the waitlist doesn't move by 1 right away. Schools send out more acceptances than there are seats in anticipation that people will reject their offers. If a school has 100 seats, they may send out 200 offers, knowing more than 100 will reject. After they receive 100 rejections, they will go down the waitlist. 

Wondering if anyone can help me out. Western wants us to reply to their offer by using the SAM tool on ORPAS, but the link that brings you to the SAM tool on the account brings me to a page where the only option is to upload a document. I already accepted Western through the offers/choices page, but I didn't get a confirmation e-mail. I just want to make sure I actually accept before the deadline. 

Hey guys, so I received an official mailed letter from u of t about having a place on their waiting list. Basically read the same as the email.

Quick question, there is a mention of arranging for our final transcripts to be sent to ORPAS by June 30th, just wondering if this applies to someone who didn't take any winter courses. My transcript should be the same come June 30th, so do I have to do anything?

Just so everyone knows, this isn't how waitlist works exactly. If one person rejects their acceptance, the waitlist doesn't move by 1 right away. Schools send out more acceptances than there are seats in anticipation that people will reject their offers. If a school has 100 seats, they may send out 200 offers, knowing more than 100 will reject. After they receive 100 rejections, they will go down the waitlist. 

Unfortunately, this is exactly how it works, so you can never know if you are gonna be given a spot or not. Back in 2014, they did not even get to the waitlist. Fingers crossed this year is different though.   

Wondering if anyone can help me out. Western wants us to reply to their offer by using the SAM tool on ORPAS, but the link that brings you to the SAM tool on the account brings me to a page where the only option is to upload a document. I already accepted Western through the offers/choices page, but I didn't get a confirmation e-mail. I just want to make sure I actually accept before the deadline.

I accepted my offer to Western PT via ORPAS choices/offers page aswell, and was concerned because I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail. It took a couple of days but my Student Center now shows that I have accepted my offer. So you're good :)

Applied: Western, Queen's, Mac (all PT)

Accepted: Mac, Western

Waitlisted: Western (Upper Third)

Rejected: Queen's

sGPA: 3.93 cGPA: 3.93 

I was not surprised by the Queen's rejection as a friend in PT had told me they look for lots of experience. I have one year volunteering at a clinic, as well as undergrad experience in anatomy and neuro research, plus over 500 hours of non-physio volunteering on campus. My references were good I think but not spectacular (hence the waitlist from Western). Western and Mac were my top two choices so I am more than thrilled to be attending Mac this fall! (most likely, we'll see if I hear from Western before Jun 9th)

EDIT: accepted to Western off the waitlist and have made the decision to go there! (after much internal debate)

Congratulations everyone, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for those of us still waiting for good news :)

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. I applied to UofT, Western and Dal, all for PT. I was rejected from both Ontario schools and waitlisted for an interview by Dal. I am assuming interviews are finished at Dal, so since I never got one is it safe to assume I will not be getting into the program this year? 

If anyone has any info that would be awesome :) 

Hey yes if you were waitlisted for the interview and never received the invite that means that you weren't considered beyond the interview waitlist. If someone had declined an interview and then they contacted you and you completed the interview process you would have been considered for acceptance. But I am fairly certain that ship has sailed for this year. Good luck next round!

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, when you respond to an offer, after a couple days, should your status under that school change to the response you selected? Are we suppose to get any email that our response was submitted because I didn't get any. I accepted my UofT offer and now it says firm accept under that offer on ORPAS. Is that how it's suppose to be? Is it safe to say that my response was submitted?

Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering, when you respond to an offer, after a couple days, should your status under that school change to the response you selected? Are we suppose to get any email that our response was submitted because I didn't get any. I accepted my UofT offer and now it says firm accept under that offer on ORPAS. Is that how it's suppose to be? Is it safe to say that my response was submitted?

Thank you!

I'm also wondering this! I accepted an offer and it says "Firm Accept" as well - I just want to make sure I actually completed the process 

17 hours ago, mentalhealthot said:

I'm also wondering this! I accepted an offer and it says "Firm Accept" as well - I just want to make sure I actually completed the process 

On 5/29/2017 at 11:49 AM, UofT OT hopeful said:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you!

I had the same concern. I spoke with the U of T OT program coordinator this weekend and he said he thinks ORPAS is slightly broken as confirmation emails were not being automatically sent. He said as long as you can see 'firm accept' when you log in you're all good. If you're still worried you can email him and he'll tell you if he can see your acceptance from his end. Also he will email you when he receives your deposit form. Hope that helps!

On May 19, 2017 at 0:26 AM, OT949407 said:

Accepted to uoft, queens, and western for OT! Will be accepting uoft :)

Hello!

I too got accepted to all 3 of these and I'm curious what led you to your choice of U of T! Having a really hard time deciding (i'm between U of T and Queens)

On May 19, 2017 at 0:31 AM, Psych_OT said:

Got accepted at UofT, Queens, Western, McMasters, and UofA for OT!! I AM BEYOND EXCITED RIGHT NOW!! 

Congrats to all those who got accepted!

I will be going either Queens or McMaster  :D

Hi! 

I'm wondering what led you to choose Queens/Mac over the others! I also got accepted to a few (Western, U of T, Queens) and Im having a hard time deciding what to do! Im leaning more between U of T and Queens

5 hours ago, SP.OT said:

Hi! 

I'm wondering what led you to choose Queens/Mac over the others! I also got accepted to a few (Western, U of T, Queens) and Im having a hard time deciding what to do! Im leaning more between U of T and Queens

Hi there! :)

I actually ended up changing my mind yet again haha. I was originally set for Queens because its closer and I really liked their curriculum courses/layout. The thing that made me reconsider was the placements since there were limited in variety and not many in city (I don't have a car either). For McMaster, I really enjoyed the MMI and I liked their course selection but I didn't think PBL would be a fit for me.

I ended up choosing UofT, like the other schools the curriculum is great and I loved the variety of selection for placements and that they are in Toronto (this really sold me haha). I also had to take into account the higher cost of living but ultimately I chose UofT.

In the end, for academics you'll get a great education no matter where you go and you can't go wrong with that. I ended up looking at other aspects such as placements and the city itself and compared them side by side to make my decision. Good Luck in making your decision! who knows maybe we'll be classmates :D 

Congrats to everyone who have been accepted thus far! Exciting times for the class of '19.

I'm #7 on the Waitlist for Mac and waiting not-so-patiently to hear about additional offers. Is the deadline for the first round of offers tomorrow? Mac indicated on the waitlist letter that additional offers would be sent out after June 2. Just trying understand the waitlist process and give myself a potential timeline.

Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, OTPT2019 said:

Congrats to everyone who have been accepted thus far! Exciting times for the class of '19.

I'm #7 on the Waitlist for Mac and waiting not-so-patiently to hear about additional offers. Is the deadline for the first round of offers tomorrow? Mac indicated on the waitlist letter that additional offers would be sent out after June 2. Just trying understand the waitlist process and give myself a potential timeline.

Thanks in advance! 

Yup, deadline to respond to offers is tomorrow. Good luck!!

Does anyone know how soon they start calling people off the wait list? I know offers become firm tomorrow (the 2nd) would schools start making calls on Monday? 

I don't know where I am on the Western waitlist since they only tell you which third you're in, so I'm anywhere from #1 to 54. I've provisionally accepted at McMaster but I think if I heard from Western before the 9th I'd change my acceptance. I don't know if it is reasonable to think they'd even be calling people from the waitlist so soon or that they would make it far enough down the list. 

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, McGill (all PT)
Accepted: Queens
Waitlisted: Queens (#15)
Rejected: Uoft/Mac (Pre-interview), McGill (Post-interview)
GPA: cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.81
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I believe my reference letters were relatively strong. 2 from physios I volunteered with and 1 from a university prof that I took several classes with and done extremely well. Accumulated over 475 hours volunteering with the geriatric population in an in-patient hospital. Essays I felt were okay. Goodluck to all applicants!

SOOOOO excited to start PT this September at Queens! Congratulations to all those accepted and for those still waiting, hang in there your time will come!

15 minutes ago, PTWorld said:

Applied: UofT, Mac, Queens, McGill (all PT)
Accepted: Queens
Waitlisted: Queens (#15)
Rejected: Uoft/Mac (Pre-interview), McGill (Post-interview)
GPA: cGPA 3.7 sGPA 3.81
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

I believe my reference letters were relatively strong. 2 from physios I volunteered with and 1 from a university prof that I took several classes with and done extremely well. Accumulated over 475 hours volunteering with the geriatric population in an in-patient hospital. Essays I felt were okay. Goodluck to all applicants!

SOOOOO excited to start PT this September at Queens! Congratulations to all those accepted and for those still waiting, hang in there your time will come!

Congratulations on Queens! Super exciting news. 

I noticed you wrote that you were initially waitlisted at Queens. Did you hear back recently regarding your acceptance? :)

Got a call from Western this morning and I've been accepted off the waitlist! I was shocked they started calling so soon! But now I have to make the decision between Western and McMaster. 

I prefer the cachment area of McMaster but am terrified of the self directed leaning approach (I think it would be a shock to my system). I like the structure of Western program and the school spirit and community feel of the school/program. My gut tells me Western but I keep flip flopping 

If anyone else has had to make a similar decision I'd love to hear your thoughts on each school and what lead you to decide! I know there isn't a wrong decision but it's still such a tough one to make!

4 minutes ago, OTPT2019 said:

Congratulations on Queens! Super exciting news. 

I noticed you wrote that you were initially waitlisted at Queens. Did you hear back recently regarding your acceptance? :)

Yes, Kathy called at 10:43 am today with an offer! Are you currently on the waitlist? If so, I hope you hear back shortly! :)

Archived