Premed 101 Forums

gpa calculations

Guest gc

I was wondering if someone could settle a dispute me and my friend are having on how gpa is caluclated for medicine admissions... I say that since its is worth 10% of the total "grade" you simply divide your gpa by 4.5 and multiply by 10%. My friend believes that gpa is not really 10% of the grade, but is looked at more subjectively. IF any one could clarify this it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Guest brandonite

I believe they use a sliding scale. The person that applies with the worst GPA gets a 0%, and the person with the highest gets a 10%. At least, that is what I remember them telling me...

Guest rmac77

GC,

Where did your friend receive his information? Why would he think it is looked at more subjectively?

The web site does state AGPA- max 10%, so we have to take their word for it, however I can't really imagine it being only 10%.

i think it wasn't information that he obtained, but a conclusion he reached. he seemed to think that the admissions people would give much more preference to someone with 4.4 than 3.9 than they say cause how could they possibly ignore such a large differnece? If anyone could explain the sliding curve i'd appreciate it (see first reply). If someone with a 4.4 applied and had a 10/10 what would someone with a gpa like4.1 get... Is it a small drop or large drop from 10?

Guest rmac77

I was wondering if for the 2003 admission year the U of M will use 2002-2003's marks? I assume and hope they will. Does anyone know if they are going to keep the 50% MCAT for next year? When does the app. process start?

Guest brandonite

Well, if they were to just divide by 4.5 and multiply by 10... Then a person with a 4.5 would get a 10, and a person with the lowest possible GPA (a 3.5???), would get like an 8. That makes no sense.

They rank everyone, in order from the highest GPA to the lowest. How many marks you get depends on your position in the rank. Say, for example, you were in the 83rd percentile - you would get 8.3/10 for GPA.

I have no idea how a 4.1 would do.

Archived