Premed 101 Forums

Special Consideration Cat.

Guest flyboy1913

Guest flyboy1913

Anyone have any information on the special consideration category at UofM ? Any experience applying or stats regarding admission? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Guest Tempus Textor

Hello flyboy1913,

Manitoba's Special Consideration Category is aimed at providing a somewhat "non-traditional" approach to medical school admissions. A full briefing can be obtained at the following link:

www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/info.html

A nutshell version is as follows:

Eligibility (one of the following)

1. Sponsored by faculty approved agency (read CF).

2. Native Canadian residing in Manitoba.

3. 2 yrs occupational experience in health-related field (read nurse, pharmacist, physio, etc . . .).

Qualifications

1. Academics: Degree w 1yr Eng/Fre & 1yr Biochem; AGPA 3.0 (vs 3.6 for Reg Cat) on 4.5 scale.

2. MCAT: 7 avg w nlt 1 x 6 (vs 8 avg w nlt 1 x 7 for Reg Cat).

Process & Selection Odds

1. Interviewer has full file (vs only autobio for Reg Cat).

2. Stats 2001 for App/Int/Adm: 35/16/8 (vs 537/230/85 for Reg Cat).

NB. You might notice that Special Cat applies ONLY to residents of Manitoba. Apparently, this is not entirely cast in stone, so check on it personally.

Go get 'em Tiger.

Tempus Textor

• 1 month later...
Guest Raven

Could you please email me to discuss the Special Consideration Category. I'm intersted in the same and any info you could provide would help.

Raven

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raven526

Flyboy, it appears that being a native from out of province will not get me into a special category as per the earlier post about U of M's special category requirements.

Too bad for me.

Raven

cachagee@onlink.net

Guest sazzafrazz

Hi Guys,

The special consideration category is a little flexible from what I've heard. (marks, certain types of experiences in working, etc, etc). You really need to contact Charles Paragg about your own special considerations to know for sure if you don't qualify. Some of the people that interviewed for the spec cons. cat. also interviewed for the main category as well...just an interesting fact...not sure if it applies in your situation. I know also that the interview styles are very different in the two categories as well.

saz

Guest brandonite

He is the registrar of the med school. He runs the whole admissions process, and has a pretty important say in who gets in and who doesn't, I think. He is a really good guy.

• 2 weeks later...

the main difference is that in the spec cons cat (scc) interview the interviewers have all of your information in front of them including marks, mcats (all of them), cv letter, everything. the interview is up to 2 hours I've heard. It can be very invasive and demanding.

the main category interview is 45 min - 1 hour and limited to what you write in the cv letter for topics directly related to you and whatever else they can think of, but no discussion of marks or previous academic performance.

Archived