Premed 101 Forums

Subjectivity Of Supplemental

I have a genuine question about the role of subjectivity in the supplemental section of Dalhousie's process. Between last year and this year the score I received from Dalhousie dropped from 22.81/35 to 16.81/35 while the average scores from out of province residents remained relatively constant. Is such a drop in the supplemental normal or to be expected given that my essay was virtually identical, I only added to the hours and activities I included in my application, and my descriptions of the activities only improved (or remained the same)? I am truly at a loss to understand this significant drop in my supplemental score and am wondering if the subjectivity of file reviewers year to year plays that big of a role.

I can't really answer on behalf of the admissions, obviously, but I think that 5 point discretion really matters here - maybe they contacted one of your references and the info you put wasn't verified appropriately? Also, Dal is probably the only med school in Canada that is nice enough to offer this but you will have a chance to talk to an admissions officer about your application so make sure to book that appointment! 

I can't really answer on behalf of the admissions, obviously, but I think that 5 point discretion really matters here - maybe they contacted one of your references and the info you put wasn't verified appropriately? Also, Dal is probably the only med school in Canada that is nice enough to offer this but you will have a chance to talk to an admissions officer about your application so make sure to book that appointment!

What appointment?? That option wasn't on the letters this year.

Archived