Premed 101 Forums

Changing Undergraduate Degree

I switched programs after first year, too. As long as you have your pre-requisites for the schools that require them, there's no problem with switching. Some schools (Western is the one I can think of at the moment) require you to take a minimum number of courses each year that correspond to your year level, so if you plan on applying there, that may be something to consider. I hope that helps! :)

I switched programs after first year, too. As long as you have your pre-requisites for the schools that require them, there's no problem with switching. Some schools (Western is the one I can think of at the moment) require you to take a minimum number of courses each year that correspond to your year level, so if you plan on applying there, that may be something to consider. I hope that helps! :)

Ok, because I'm thinking of starting a program for first year and if I don't like it switching to something else. 

Ok, because I'm thinking of starting a program for first year and if I don't like it switching to something else.

I would try to avoid having to switch, if you can (it put me a year behind in my Chem courses, so when I took the MCAT after third year, I hadn't taken biochem yet). That said, the most important thing is to be in a program that you enjoy and that you feel you can do well in. I think it can be hard to know exactly what a program is like until you're in it, so switching is pretty common. :)

I would try to avoid having to switch, if you can (it put me a year behind in my Chem courses, so when I took the MCAT after third year, I hadn't taken biochem yet). That said, the most important thing is to be in a program that you enjoy and that you feel you can do well in. I think it can be hard to know exactly what a program is like until you're in it, so switching is pretty common. :)

Ok, thanks for letting me know! :) I'll keep that in mind!

Archived