Premed 101 Forums

Waiting To Hear Back On Mcmaster Health Science Admission, What Should I Do?

I've been accepted into a number of universities in Canada and I need to accept the offer from one of them by May 1st.

The problem is that I haven't heard back from McMaster as to whether I was accepted into their Health Science program and I was told by their admissions department that offers of acceptance don't go out until after May.

So, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Do I just wait until I hear back from McMaster and accept an offer at my second choice university as well.  The issue with this is if I did get accepted at McMaster, I'd lose some/all of my tuition at my second choice university when I decline at a later date.

Thoughts?

Thank you

If you don't get into Mac health sciences, you'll likely get into Mac life sciences, which is still a great program. Kick ass in your first year and get dope grades then apply to transfer into health sciences as a second year student. If that doesn't work out for you stay in life science and if you're smart enough to get high grades then you lose nothing, have arguably a much better science background, and can still apply for medicine at no disadvantage. You can still take many health sci courses and have a great time at school, and do research with all the same people health sciences students can.

Or just accept your second choice whatever it may be. Mac Health sci is not the be all and end all :)

I've been accepted into a number of universities in Canada and I need to accept the offer from one of them by May 1st.

The problem is that I haven't heard back from McMaster as to whether I was accepted into their Health Science program and I was told by their admissions department that offers of acceptance don't go out until after May.

Do I just wait until I hear back from McMaster and accept an offer at my second choice university as well.  The issue with this is if I did get accepted at McMaster, I'd lose some/all of my tuition at my second choice university when I decline at a later date.

Thoughts?

Thank you

I would check this out as it doesn't seem quite right. From what I remember, you put a deposit down to hold a spot. If you decide to decline when you hear from McMaster then you just lose that deposit (small drop in the pond in comparison).

I would contact admissions at your second choice and see what their policy is on things like this! 

I would check this out as it doesn't seem quite right. From what I remember, you put a deposit down to hold a spot. If you decide to decline when you hear from McMaster then you just lose that deposit (small drop in the pond in comparison).

I would contact admissions at your second choice and see what their policy is on things like this! 

Agreed, you don't usually pay any tuition until September.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Is there a way to ask the second school to give you a bit more time to accept? If not you kind of have to make a decision unfortunately. Sometimes just talking to the school can buy you some time. 

Archived