Premed 101 Forums

What Can I Do With A Health Science B.sc. Degree?

I'll be starting university in the fall and will most likely pursue a health science degree as my undergrad pre-med degree.

I've always been competitive when it comes to grades in high school and extracurricular activities, but I also understand the realities that not everyone gets accepted into med school.

I'm just planning for this situation and am wondering, if I don't get accepted into med school, what can I do in life with a health science degree?

Thank you

I'll be starting university in the fall and will most likely pursue a health science degree as my undergrad pre-med degree.

I've always been competitive when it comes to grades in high school and extracurricular activities, but I also understand the realities that not everyone gets accepted into med school.

I'm just planning for this situation and am wondering, if I don't get accepted into med school, what can I do in life with a health science degree?

Thank you

FYI

I don't want to discourage you but high school grades don't mean anything in university. If you go through the forum there's many many many posts on why marks fall in 1st year of university.

The only exception that i've seen is from students that have taken AP courses or IB in high school or graduated from university of toronto schools excel in their first year of university because they've already learnt the course material in their curriculum during high school. 

That's also not to say that they'll do well in 2nd year and above as courses get more specialized. 

To answer your question in the literal sense: absolutely nothing 

Think about your health science degree as a stepping stone to something, not as a final destination. 

good luck! :)

You can't do much with just a bachelor degree right now. It does qualify you for some jobs in research like in a lab or some fieldwork but you can't work your way up through the ranks as it were without getting a more advanced degree.

I'll echo what cookiemonster said and add that you should spend at least some more amount of time studying than you did in high school. You don't want to be one of the students that calls themselves a premed and gets C's on all their first term courses. Actually more likely would be doing ok in most courses but then really screwing up one of your prerequisite classes. There was probably a 50% withdrawal rate in our first term chemistry class after our first midterm. 

Archived