Premed 101 Forums

Chances At Canadian Universities

Hi everyone, I am currently finishing up my degree this semester as a resident of Alberta.

Here are my stats:

1st year - 4/4 courses: 3.81

- 2 spring classes: 3.2

2nd year - 5/5 courses: 3.86

3rd year - 4/5 courses: 3.93

- 1 spring class: 4.0

4th year - 4/4 courses: 3.91

5th year - 1/1 courses: 4.0

- wrote the DAT, worked, volunteered, and did research

Wrote the 2016 November DAT

BIO: 21, CHEM: 21, RC: 21, MDT: 23, PAT: 24, AA: 21

In hindsight, I should've been more aware and taken full course loads during my degree.

Due to the distribution of courses, I don't believe I'm eligible for U of S, U of M, and will be getting penalized for Waterloo.

EC:

1. Honors thesis

2. Two summers of research

3. Leadership programs on campus all four years

4. Mentor program my last two years

5. Community volunteering all four years 

I have only applied to U of A for the 2017 cycle (pending acceptance/rejection), but I'll be applying to U of A, UBC, and U of T next year for sure, as I think I will be a competitive applicant. 

Any suggestions for any other schools I should look into while considering my circumstances?
Also, I'm looking for any recommendations for ways to improve my application.

Thanks for reading.

I think when you typed Waterloo you might have meant Western! And yes for Western for them to take into account your best years you need those years to have a full course load so that might make you possibly have to write off Western :/ Your DAT scores on the other hand are pretty sweet so they should work to your advntage! UofT is tougher on OOPs and has only around 10 spots for them so it might be a bit more difficult but always worth a shot. 

A real big improvement to your application as a whole would be if you could get shadowing experience since your ECs seem to be focused on research but I think they'd like to know that you've tried and experienced dentistry as well. 

I think when you typed Waterloo you might have meant Western! And yes for Western for them to take into account your best years you need those years to have a full course load so that might make you possibly have to write off Western :/ Your DAT scores on the other hand are pretty sweet so they should work to your advntage! UofT is tougher on OOPs and has only around 10 spots for them so it might be a bit more difficult but always worth a shot. 

A real big improvement to your application as a whole would be if you could get shadowing experience since your ECs seem to be focused on research but I think they'd like to know that you've tried and experienced dentistry as well. 

Thanks for your input.

I'm considering enrolling into a MSc program in order to compensate for the lack of full-course load years, but I'm not sure if that would even rectify it.

I will definitely look to shadow dentists, if I'm not given acceptance to U of A.

Archived